Check engine light has to illuminate at start up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check engine light has to illuminate at start up?

hansvdweerd

Reaction score
City, State
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT (LPG conversion)
Well, this is a pretty straight forward question. When searching the web I got two different answers however... :(

My CEL doesn't come on when starting the vehicle. I regularly scan my car (ELM USB cable hooked to my laptop) and I did have a pending DTC once, but there was never a stored DTC. So the CEL didn't have to illuminate because there were no malfunctions. The PCM seems to function properly when DTC's can be read.

If it is however required to illuminate when starting the car (which makes a lot of sense to me...) this might mean a defective bulb? Before I go about removing the dash (or asking my mechanic to) I'd like to know for sure it's a defective bulb.

The other light that stays dark at startup is the 'fuel reset' light.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Hans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't say whether it is a defective bulb or not, but, yes the bulb should light up for a few seconds with all of the other indicators on the dash when you turn the key to the on position.

Hans,

Here is a writeup on how to get to the back of the cluster. The white bulb backs that you see on picture 14 are the kind you'll be replacing if your CEL is defective...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290

Easy to do yourself, you'll need probably 45 minutes, and some simple hand tools. Nothing major. :)

It'll cost you less to check the bulbs than to go to a mechanic. You could easily get it all done(apart and back together) in 30min. I've done mine and a couple others clusters so I can get it done it 15min. or less.

Well, this is a pretty straight forward question. When searching the web I got two different answers however... :(

My CEL doesn't come on when starting the vehicle. I regularly scan my car (ELM USB cable hooked to my laptop) and I did have a pending DTC once, but there was never a stored DTC. So the CEL didn't have to illuminate because there were no malfunctions. The PCM seems to function properly when DTC's can be read.

If it is however required to illuminate when starting the car (which makes a lot of sense to me...) this might mean a defective bulb? Before I go about removing the dash (or asking my mechanic to) I'd like to know for sure it's a defective bulb.

The other light that stays dark at startup is the 'fuel reset' light.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Hans

If you turn the key forward, but do not start, do any lights come on?

If you turn the key forward, but do not start, do any lights come on?

These lights come on briefly if you turn the key forward:

ABS, Airbag light, check gage, battery, PATS

These lights do not come on but do work:

Handbrake, hazard lights, indicator lights, auto level system indicator, 4x4 high and low indicators, high beam indicator, door open indicator

After careful inspection some stay dark at the left side of the dash:

Fuel reset, indicator for coolant temperature (I think), seatbelt loose indicator

Same story, but at the right side:

CEL (directly below the hazard lights indicator)

Hans,

Here is a writeup on how to get to the back of the cluster. The white bulb backs that you see on picture 14 are the kind you'll be replacing if your CEL is defective...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290

Easy to do yourself, you'll need probably 45 minutes, and some simple hand tools. Nothing major. :)

That seems like something I could do myself!

It would probably be good to disconnect the battery to prevent accidentally short circuiting something.

It's not a difficult job, just tedious the first time you do it. I'm into the 15 minute in and out category by now... :D

I never disconnect my battery, never had an issue.

If you go in there, do all of the bulbs at the same time!! The illumination bulbs are #194 - there were 6 of them in my '97 EB cluster. There are more of the warning bulbs, and they are a lot smaller - I didn't write down the number. Just buy the bulbs; you can reuse the little twist holders they come in. I agree - not a bad job to do.

I've never seen a check engine light that doesn't come on at start up. It could very well be a blown bulb or some other problem with the circuit to that lamp. If it were mine, I'd try a new bulb but before you do that make sure that all your fuses are OK.

I did evry bulb on mine. It cost less to buy them at the dealer than it would have at any of the major parts stores. It would have been close to $25 but I paid less than $12 and they have a different number than what is available at the mojors. Some things are cheaper at the dealer.

Oh yeah, I have a 99 EB 4X4 with 71k on it and most of the bulbs that light the panel were bad. The CEL and high beam indicator were both bad.

Oh yeah, I have a 99 EB 4X4 with 71k on it and most of the bulbs that light the panel were bad. The CEL and high beam indicator were both bad.

Thanks for the input! I'll have a go at it shortly.

Back