Wiring reverse lights to illuminate with puddle lamps | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring reverse lights to illuminate with puddle lamps

Even with the keys in it? I played with mine to see exactly what it did, no puddle lights with them in the ignition, no puddle lights with the manual switch on the dash. They only come on when exiting, when approaching it and using the remote to unlock the doors and with the keyless entry pad.

yeah, even with keys in when i use the manual switch for the interior domes they come on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm tracing the wiring to find the sources....these have to have separate sources to be working this way.....I'll post as soon as I figure it out.

My 04 puddle lights come on with the interior dome lights.
So if you add a relay off your puddle lights, your puddle lights and reverse lights and interior lights would come on.

I guess there must be a way, by adding an additional relay to disable your first when the key is on. That way interior lights while running wont turn on reverse lights.

Ok....didn't take long to find extra relay in the circuit....apparently whoever had my Mounty first added a relay(off when powered) triggered from the radio switched power that blocked the power to the puddle lights. This is a good idea, but I dont like the hack job so I will clean up the wiring job and leave it alone. One other thought..if you have the tow package with the tow relay assbly, will it trigger the reverse lights on the trailer as well if you relay off the puddle lights?

Hey man
to post the diagram, create a new reply,
below your reply before you submit there are additional options

click Manage Attachments
click browse on the pop up window, find your diagram and upload it.
Then come back to your reply message and submit.

Ok....didn't take long to find extra relay in the circuit....apparently whoever had my Mounty first added a relay(off when powered) triggered from the radio switched power that blocked the power to the puddle lights. This is a good idea, but I dont like the hack job so I will clean up the wiring job and leave it alone. One other thought..if you have the tow package with the tow relay assbly, will it trigger the reverse lights on the trailer as well if you relay off the puddle lights?

good question about the tow pkg....i'd imagine it would.

I guess I can't post attachments yet...I'm still only a "wannabe". Membership coming soon!

hmmm I thought you needed 10 posts to put up pictues... and you now have 14 so I dont know why you cant.

What I do, is upload them to www.photobucket.com
its free
then under each picture you upload it will give you the link to the picture you can post here
The link looks like IMG picture.jpg /IMG
except there are square brackets around the IMG tags but If I put them in, this post will read them as real code and try to put picture.jpg in which it doesnt really exist...

Update

All,
Yesterday, I took the two pods I had and got them installed on the passenger side of the X to see if I want to move forward with them. I will post pics later.

They provide some definition of the board, but not massive amounts of light. maybe 4 on each side, bracketing the doors for your feet would be a thought. When I change the puddle lamps to LED, then I will get some serious light on the sides.

I tapped into the power line to the puddle lamps front seat passenger side and ran wires through the door and under the running board. So far I have installed 2 pods on the passenger side. My plans are to have 3 on each side, spaced evenly along the board. I have pieces to tie the reverse lamps into the puddle lamps, but ran out of time yesterday.

Even with the keys in it? I played with mine to see exactly what it did, no puddle lights with them in the ignition, no puddle lights with the manual switch on the dash. They only come on when exiting, when approaching it and using the remote to unlock the doors and with the keyless entry pad.

I checked this feature yesterday on my 2003 to ensure I was not tapping the interior dome light power wire.

key off - interior dome light dial will activate the puddle lamps
key on - interior dome light dial will NOT activate the puddle lamps

I checked this feature yesterday on my 2003 to ensure I was not tapping the interior dome light power wire.

key off - interior dome light dial will activate the puddle lamps
key on - interior dome light dial will NOT activate the puddle lamps

that's so odd that mine does this... I'll take a video later when its dark and post it.

Maybe it's because of the PATS bypass for my remote starter?

Pics so far

The pod I am using. I do not know what the specs on the LED are. Notice the black paint to help "hide" the light pod against the running board.
photo1.jpg

The pod with a frosting over the lens
photo4.jpg

The iphone does not take a good pic in low light situations
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

that's so odd that mine does this... I'll take a video later when its dark and post it.

Maybe it's because of the PATS bypass for my remote starter?

No, I don't think so since that's exaclty what mine does, I found the relay under the dash that looked like it was added( shady wiring job) but maybe it is factory.

I did something similar in my 96... I wanted the park lights to come on like the interior lights when you unlock with the remote.

So... I got a Pulse Relay.
It turns on for an adjustable amount of time when activated then turns off.

First I thought Id wire it to the dome lights so the park lights would come on for the same amout of time.... but then when ever I turned on the dome lights the park lights would come on.

Next I wired it to a wire in the drivers kick panel that's activated with the door lock. Well I found out that then my park lights would come on with the remote and the unlock button on the door!

Finally, I found a wire in the rear panel, that's only activated by the remote.
After using that, my park lights come on for the same amount of time as the dome lights. It just took me a few tries to time them the same with the adjustable pulse relay.

You could do something similar for the revers and fog lights.

update

I have received the remaining pods to finish wiring the running board lights and I have successfully wired in the diodes between the running board lights and the reverse lamps. I have one reverse light wired now and will complete tomorrow morning. I ran the wire from the outside of the vehicle into the cabin and then behind moulding to the rear. I tested the diodes before soldering. I will post some pics in the near future. I had to rush and get the truck put back together. Wife said we needed two cars tonight.

Hello to all ,
i am going to install a new dvd/gps/rvcamera unit and i have to connect one wire to the backup light , i wonder where i should do it from and if any one have a pic to show the location

thanks in advance

Back