• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light. Need Advice

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
When i start my car this morning at 11 F temperature i got a check engine light.(P0171 Bank 1 lean and P0174 Bank 2 lean).

Reading here i found that the most common problem with the codes that i pulled out is my upper intake manifold gaskets to fix a vacuum leak that was giving the two engine error codes (P0171 Bank 1 lean and P0174 Bank 2 lean). I have a 1996 explorer with a 4.0L OHV V6 with the plastic upper intake manifold.

i'm thinking to clean the codes and se if they come back.

What do you suggest? is it going to hurt anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would clear them and see if it would come back. It won't hurt anything.

i just came back from my mechanic. i clear the codes, but he told me that i will need to change upper and lower manifold gasket. he also told me that the lower gasket is propably where is leaking. he quote me for $250.00 labor

i'm thinking if the light comes back to change the upper first which is pretty easy and cheap and if it comes back again to do the lower.

what do you thing?

I just had the oxygen sensors replaced on both sides for same reason (according to the dealer). $800. Has your mileage dropped significantly? Mine did and then shot up dramatically after the work was done.

hahah funny story i am a mechanic and had this happen to 1 of my customer trucks(actually same exact truck) and i could not figure out wut it was. for like a 2 days my boss and i were lookin at it and finally found it....
it was the gaskets they were destroyed!
id do them and thats not that bad for labor either

Bummer. Well, I hope that I got new gaskets with the job. Thanks.

Hey guys what were your symptoms, if any, other than throwing codes? Anything besides gas mileage?

No other symptoms for me. The truck continued to run well as far as power and acceleration.

A quick way to check to see if you have intake manifold leaks is to shoot a little starting fluid at the gaskets while the motor is running. If you get a surge, the manifold is sucking the starting fluid past the gasket.

Back