• Register Today It's free!

check engine light

rebafan

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
HELP!!!!! I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS and the check engine light is on and has come on 4 times in the last week. I don't get the codes cleared or anything cuz when the light is on there is no power to the data link connnector so that it can read the codes. When the light goes out then I can get power to a code reader and there are not any codes to read. I have been told that there is a possible short somewhere in the wiring. I am severely strapped for cash right now and can't afford to do anything with it but am planning to drive to California in May and would like to get this fixed. The truck runs fine and there seems to be nothing wrong with it than the light is on. Please help me get this figured out and get it fixed.

If your CEL is not on you will not get any codes. Also if your CEL keeps comming and going it is more than likely an oxygen sensor.

It could be a lot of things. Everyone always assumes its an 02 sensor, when most times, its not and its something causing the 02 sensor to function improperly. Unless you're a pretty good mechanic, you're better off taking it to a ship to have it properly diagnosed. I know that sucks, but it'll probably be cheaper in the end then trying to fix all sorts of things that might not even be broken. Considering 02 sensors go for around $60 apiece on our trucks, its not a cheap repair.

well i bought an aftermarket code reader for $40.00 at a place called Harbor Freight. It does work but the light keeps going on and off every few days and there is no power to the dlc at all. Can anyone tell me where the power cord leads too (the cord that comes off the DLC) and if they think there is a break in the line somewhere where should I look to find out the problem.

Back