• Register Today It's free!

check engine light....

Danimal86

Reaction score
City, State
sac town
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My check engine light has been turning on when i am driving up hill or down hill....usually prety steep grades....after the road flattens out, it turns off after a min....now that i think about it, it only happens on the freeway

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your first step should be pulling the codes. Since it's an OBD I you can pull them without a scanner. Do a search on how to do this. I think there is a sticky in the under the hood forum. It basically involves grounding a wire under the hood and counting the blinks from the CEL.

i didn't know it was that easy.....once finals are over, i'll definitly have to do that.....just out of curiousity, how much is it for a code reader?

It depends on the features of the code reader. You can get a basic code reader for about $50. But the fancier models can cost hundreds of dollars.

Mine does it too...

If I wail on it up a steep-ish on ramp, and the revs get up past 3000-3500 ill get the CEL, and then it clears after a few minutes.

Never bothered to have it scanned. I assume its probably something with the O2 sensor. Runs fine anyways.

Do you hear a rattling as well when punching it? If so, clean the mass airflow sensor which is on the air cowl. It sits in that little box right after the air filther. You will need a torx bit that has the hole in it.

i dont think i hear a rattle, or anything, but i could be wrong. does the check engine light have to be on inorder to pull the code?

The code should be stored.

Back