• Register Today It's free!

Checking thermostat?

Prof. Wernstrom

Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Hey guys been awhile since I posted here.

Lately my truck *93 explorer xlt* has been overheating, I had a hose replaced and the problem stopped.

during the search for the problem of the overheating my dad mentioned I should change the thermostat atleast once a year, for good measure.

I dont know how to do this, or how to check it?

any help on its location how to change it would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

during the search for the problem of the overheating my dad mentioned I should change the thermostat atleast once a year, for good measure.

Help not asked for is help not given and I hate to go against dad but that seems excessive. Wonder what he's basing that on. There was a time, *coughs* back in the day, when Tstats where changed twice a year, like, 160* for summer, 190* for winter ....but I think that's not done anymore.

if the T-stat is working don't fix it. But that's just me.

Help not asked for is help not given and I hate to go against dad but that seems excessive. Wonder what he's basing that on. There was a time, *coughs* back in the day, when Tstats where changed twice a year, like, 160* for summer, 190* for winter ....but I think that's not done anymore.

if the T-stat is working don't fix it. But that's just me.

He did somethings with my engine, said he thought it was the thermostat, I dont question the old man its like arguing with a wall :p:

His argument was he didnt see a leak, and when I filled the reservior up after about 30 mins of driving it was empty. He thought it was stuck shut so everything was just evaporating and not making it to the engine.

However, I knew there was a leak and got that taken care of and the issue has been resolved. I just know my truck sat in a barn for 4+ years so Im thinking to avoid another issue I could change that thermostat.

check the front of the motor for a mineral/coolant stain ( right around the timeing chain cover / p/s pump / lower intake manifold )

if you do see a stain from coolant then most likelly the lower intake could have a bad gasket .mine has a lower intake leak ( water jacket overhang ((ford design flaw )) ...been doing it for over a year an a half) . when mine leaks out you wont see any hit the ground because it evaporates before doing so ...but yet you can see the trail it leaves behind .

this is not to say that the stat could be stuck ( can happen even new out of the box ) so if you in that area working look for what i just mentioned .mine will take coolant out of the overfill res' but it's a VERY slow process and i refill it maybe a quart every month .

Changing a hose solved an overheating problem? That's pretty interesting.

I'd have to agree that changing a t-stat once a year is somewhat excessive, unless of course you're really racking up the miles. Many vehicles go 100,000+ miles on the original t-stat, so sometimes it's fine to leave it be.

Once a vehicle gets up in age and mileage though, you'll have to deal with it's particular quirks and those of the parts you put on it. I had the original 'stat close up on me on the highway one time, and wound up doing a full water pump replacement in the parking lot of a gas station to try and fix it. I've had several other OE Motorcraft stats slowly start going on me, and replacing the 'stat has fixed the creeping temp needle every time.

If you have the tools and the time, changing the t-stat when you do a coolant drain/refill every other year or so can be worth it. If you drive hard, sure, every year might not be a bad idea. Either way, it beats getting stuck on the side of the highway or having a toasted engine.

yeah swap out your thermostat. sometimes they stick shut. just follow ur upper radiator hose to the engine. its around there. check your hoses and pump too. maybe a cooling system flush. i had to change my pump. almost completly fixed my overheating problems.

Changing a hose solved an overheating problem? That's pretty interesting.

I've seen an inlet hose to a washing machine come apart on the inside and block flow. Suppose it could happen in a radiator hose. I always thought radiator hose would swell up when they were going bad.

Back