• Register Today It's free!

Chip question......

Nitrous SSC

Reaction score
City, State
Layton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie 3-oh-2
Sorry to be the 9 millionth person to ask a chip question but i coudn't find what i was looking for on search...

i've got a 98 EB 5.0.....I can't stand the mpg i'm getting and the sluggesh shifts...

I called around and found out whats avalible and i've got 2 choices..

#1....Superchip....had one in my SHO and the damn thing had to be retuned 4 times to get everything right...

#2....Diablo....never had one but the stock and advance program looks sweet considering its only 20 bux more than the superchip...

#3....possibly hypertech...i've got one in my stang thats a switch chip for nitrous and its SWEET...havn't found one for a 5.0 explorer :(

What are pro's and cons of each?......also searching on the board I saw a Computer clearence issue once the chips are in.....does this only apply to the V6s?...or V8's too?

anyone's 2 cents appriciated....or 3 for that matter :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

reading throu that didn't show much.....if anything discouraged me from that brand of chip...a few of them going bad?...forget that....I don't have time to try new products...I need stuff that works for SURE......I might go way of the Diablo switch chip...between stock and 91 octane...only 240 and free shipping :)

anyone run a diablo??

Have you seen the Hypertech programmer? Might be a better choice for you than a chip.

im actually one of the people who got the chip and didnt work. however, brian who is the one making the chips for us has been fantastic on gettin back to our emails and basically working hard to get ours to work. he uses blank diablo chips and based on ur computer code, he inputs computer-specific data (at least i think so) to get the most out of ur car. nobody with a 5.0 has tested the chip, but that will change very soon hopefully. u should just wait a few more days for one of us 5.0s to test the chip out and tell u the results. but if u are in that much of a hurry, i guess go for whichever one u want. good luck

I did see that......I didn't see anything that said it would work for a 98 5.0....also isn't it like 350$?....I'm not in much of a hurry....I won't be getting it for another 2 weeks or so....

i'm just hoping out of what ever chip i get the OEM shift point is raised....mine shifts at like 4800rpms...the rev limiter is 5300 and it still pulls to like 5100 if i hold it in gear....

keep the reply's comming....I'm new to the explorer world

P.S. my woman thinks i'm turning into hermit because i'm on this board so much searching for stuff :)

Originally posted by Nitrous SSC

P.S. my woman thinks i'm turning into hermit because i'm on this board so much searching for stuff :)

Thats normal... LOL

must not have looked hard enough:

Dead Link Removed

the apten chip that we are talkin about was 200 plus 5 for shipping if u were involved in the group buy. i believe it is 240 now out of the group buy.

FORD
2002 F-Series 7.3L Power Stroke All Trans 41019
2001 F-Series 7.3L Power Stroke All Trans 41012
2001 F-Series 4.6 EFI Trucks All Trans 41006
99-01 Mustang 4.6L S/C All Trans 41005
99-01 Ford Lightning 5.4L S/C All Trans 41008

no 98 Explorer

Thats what i got when i clicked on that link

5.0 chip

He's doing chips that will work for your X. And, he would probably honor the group buy price if you asked as we're all being patient while he works out some bugs. Looking forward to the first 5.0 results, too.

Expo, I see from your site that you have the hypertech. When you say best, what do you mean in addition to not having the initial dead chip problems? Have you done a before and after dyno test that shows your results with the hypertech and/or the chips available? I also have a 5.0 and am looking for the performance. Any input is appreciated.

Sweet....now that hypertech programer is exactly what i'm looking for.....how high can you set the rev limit and shift points?....can you customize each shift point?...and firmness for each shift?

The thing that i've always been scared with chips is if you don't like it your SOL....this gives me a way to tune it....i'm a big fan of this :)

the link that I posted goes exactly to a Ford 98 Explorer page.

I'll shut up now, but I'm not a moron.

alright good news and bad news. the hypertech ads that list all the things their tuner is capable of are stupid. they only offer all of those parameters for tuning on their chips for a couple of vehicles. on the x all you can do is adjust the shift firmness and the tuning. thats the bad news. the good news is that their tuning is very good (not backed up by my own dyno info which would be useless anyways because of my other mods, but by head to head tests by acquaintances on explorers and other vehicles) the consensus is that hypertech's tuning is equal to if not better than the superchip or other brand. of course if you get a custom chip burned for your modifications from superchips that will be better but only if your truck warrants it. i recommend the pp3 because it is so easy and the gains are the same as the other "chips" and they are always seeming to have problems.

Alic your not stupid :) i clicked the link then clicked on the picture of the hyper tuner and it took me to the list i'd posted......I'm gona do the chip later....went wheeling tonight learnign the X and had one hell of a drop i went off and ripped the front little cover/air dam that goes around the fog lights and bent them up....whoops....hoping that part isn't super expensive from ford.....on a good note...that 5.0's got a ton of torque...I was traped in a little stream area and just climbed my way out throu a different path...

Back