Chirping up front. Replaced serpentine belt and now back. Tensioner next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chirping up front. Replaced serpentine belt and now back. Tensioner next?

nevrsumr22

Reaction score
City, State
Bel Air, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
Just what the title says. Squealing in humid weather and when the truck is cold it chirps. The new belt stopped it for about 1.5 months then started again. I also hear some snapping sounds up there when the belt isn't chirping. Doesn't sound like the motor really and that is what it did last time before the chirping started with the old belt.

Will Ford take back the part if it doesn't fix it? They have them for about $50 but don't want to waste the money if it doesn't fix it.

Any place online that has them much cheaper than Ford? I looked but didn't see much cheaper after shipping and I'd like to be able to return it if not the problem and not pay for shipping back. From reading threads on here it seems like that is the problem although I guess it could be the alternator but all electrical is running fine.

Thanks

Few threads on belt squeel here.

Did you clean the grooved pulleys with a metal brush?
Have any binding at all on any of the pulleys, when you had belt off?
My 02 needed a tensioner and it has 70k on it. I bought it from PepBoys for $34. I wouldn't go to the stealer to get ripped off.

If you put it on, your not going to be able to return it.

Back