choosing new tires mostly for snow/mud | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

choosing new tires mostly for snow/mud

ok, yeah. Still though, I wouldn't buy a winter tire unless I lived in the far north, or someplace where there is snow the whole winter, no plows. I know most places, even in Wisconsin and other way north states, there's snow for a day or two til the plows and salt trucks catch up, then its just dry pavement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know what, screw it I'm getting the t/a k/o's again. Can somebody tell me the best place to order from, ill be getting 31s for sure

You know what, screw it I'm getting the t/a k/o's again. Can somebody tell me the best place to order from, ill be getting 31s for sure

www.performanceplustire.com has free shipping on a lot of their tires, and good prices too. And wheel and tire packages are all free shipping. when I was looking at tires I remember I was about to buy 5 32" hankook RT03s, and 5 ultra wheels, all mounted and balanced, for like $1200.

Pro Comp MTs, very generic tread pattern but they have buy 3 get 1 free sales all the time. They are on my daily driver and have been for a little over 2 years. Getting loud as hell but still have a good few months left before I go to the BFG ATs, just because I don't four wheel in my Ex anymore.

Might want to check your local shops, one near me is about $5 more per tire (vs. online) but you get free unlimited rotations for however long you own the tires.

where are you at in NW ohio? i am near defiance

wauseon

There is no substitute for big open lugs on mud tires. But what you gain in off road traction you loose in pavement traction and performance. All terrain tires are a nice compromise and will perform well in packed snow and ice. They perform poorly in mud and deep snow. I suggest that you look at what is the majority of the use of the vehicle and look at tires specifically for that use.

I agree with Carguy's info, but when buying tires were are not always rational. You could let you inner redneck out and buy tires that may not be the most practical.

Back