christmas speaker upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

christmas speaker upgrade

cstanton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
im wanting to up grade my factory speakers in my 98 2dr for christmas and was wondering on a college budget what would be my best buy to replace all four. keep in mind i have a pioneer cd player and 2 p5 xplods with a 1200watt xplod amp and im just wanting to bring my his mids and lows with out distorting any sound. as of right now my factory speakers distort really easily and my sub drowns out my sound
thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's your total budget? That will be the biggest factor. I'd personally go with a quality name component set up front, and some decent 2 or 3 way 6x8's in the rear. I'd spend more on the fronts.

infinity's for the front doors will do one hell of a job with highs and mids. with a coupon code and buying 1ft of speaker wire they can be had for 80 at crutchfeild

budget is around 200-250 i am just trying to get it done to where it wil sound great and perform great at high volumes with my subs

A cheap and easy way out would be to get Pioneer 3 or 4-way 6x8's ($59.99/pair for the 3-ways at wal-mart) all around, preferably powered with a 50Wx4 amp or something, which could be done for $200-250 or so with a $50-100 Xplod amp. They'll outdo the factory stuff easily, and it's pretty straightforward stuff if you've wired up your subs.

For even better sound, get some brand name 5.25" seperates for the speakers instead of coaxial 6x8's. You can get adapter plates to mount the seperates in the factory speaker holes, which makes it almost as easy as dropping in replacement 6x8's, too.

infinity's for the front doors will do one hell of a job with highs and mids. with a coupon code and buying 1ft of speaker wire they can be had for 80 at crutchfeild

ditto on the infinity...I bought kappas off ebay. cheap and phenominal sound with exceptional power handling.

Agree, the Boston's are real nice, and if you need more, just add a substantial amp. They'll drink it like water.

ditto on the infinity...I bought kappas off ebay. cheap and phenominal sound with exceptional power handling.

Meh. I hate the sound of them, and I even took my screen name in part from a sponsorship many moons ago. If they would re-release the old Beta series, they'd sell a buttload of them.

Agree, the Boston's are real nice, and if you need more, just add a substantial amp. They'll drink it like water.

Meh. I hate the sound of them, and I even took my screen name in part from a sponsorship many moons ago. If they would re-release the old Beta series, they'd sell a buttload of them.

Yess boston acoustics are very good sounding quality speakers, sound best when in use with a subwoofer.

Back