• Register Today It's free!

Christmas Wish

westfield

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Wish I could retro my 4.0 engine to old school with a carb and not all the sensors and crap which make it difficult on these cars when they get older.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replace the sensors or parts that are getting old/bad and you should be good to go :D:thumbsup:

Camshaft position sensor - scarce and very expensive !

all those parts make the engine run more efficiently with more power and make them last longer.

They aren't that difficult to figure out once you get the hang of it, they are just intimidating at first.

You can convert a 4.0 to a carbed motor with a distributor and all that, but I see no reason to bother doing so when you can just drop in an older 5.0 or something. You would lose a little power from an already underpowered engine and a bit of fuel efficiency putting a carb and distributor on a 4.0. Better to go with the bigger engine and only lose a little fuel efficiency. Did I mention you lose a lot of reliability?

Do you need a camshaft position sensor? I thought an explorer only used a crank position sensor for a first gen.... weird, I need to go look at my engine again....

If you are thinking crankshaft position sensor..... they are only $20 bucks at rock auto, and you can probably get them at your local parts store for under $30.... There aren't really any EXPENSIVE sensors in a 1st gen explorer...... 02 sensors are about $80, and that is already about one of the most expensive parts used for engine management.....

That all sounds good until you have to drive a vehicle with a carb all the time,they suck.They are terrible offroad and are vastly inefficient and troublesome.I was a GM tech in the 80'-early 90's and have a intimate knowledge of carbs.I wouldn't give you a nickle for one.:D

That all sounds good until you have to drive a vehicle with a carb all the time,they suck.They are terrible offroad and are vastly inefficient and troublesome.I was a GM tech in the 80'-early 90's and have a intimate knowledge of carbs.I wouldn't give you a nickle for one.:D

they are worth more than that in scrap aluminum and brass....

A shop here pulled the codes...P0341 CMP Signal Fault...

My ex is a 94...
Told me it would cost ab out $700 to do...Seems a tad high ! I did not know 1st gens had four numbers in the codes...

700 to put in a cmp sensor which is on the valve cover?

A shop here pulled the codes...P0341 CMP Signal Fault...

My ex is a 94...
Told me it would cost ab out $700 to do...Seems a tad high ! I did not know 1st gens had four numbers in the codes...

That is an OBDII code..... explorers were EEC-IV up until 96

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962

Do this to pull trouble codes and go to a different shop in the future.

I guess here is a thread on replacing it if it is bad....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264672

I guess that is a spendy little bugger... I didn't even realize a 1st gen had one.... Oh well

Back