Chrome trim on instrument cluster.. reflects on windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chrome trim on instrument cluster.. reflects on windshield

richard u

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 limited
Got a 07 limited...one nit pick.. The chrome trim on the instrument cluster and around the air vents reflects into the wind shield...a bit distracting.

Any after market fix for this, with out major surgery?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too much "bling" for you? You could have them sanded and repainted by any body shop or interior shop in your area. Painted to match the exterior would be nice, but expensive.

or you can get some paint and sand paper and do it yourself for $10

I have no idea! hahaha I could figure it out if I looked though, they may be part of the dash most late model stuff just pulls apart with clips, but I am just not familiar with the Gen III stuff

I have no idea! hahaha I could figure it out if I looked though, they may be part of the dash most late model stuff just pulls apart with clips, but I am just not familiar with the Gen III stuff

All I need to do is mess up my wifes week old car..Wonder if any of the other models have dash colored trim rings? Perhaps I could get them at a ford dealer.

Chrome trim is on all 2007 models

I have the same complaint about the chromed plastic on the dash. Ditto the interior front door handles. I see the chrome reflected every time I look at the exterior mirrors through the side windows.

I walked around the dealership yesterday and every vehicle I looked at including the Ironman has the same chrome. The parts dude confirmed this. What a stupid design element. Ford let the artsy types have way too much freedom.

Pulling the chrome vents and painting them is a possibility, but on a brand new car? I don't think so.

Pull the trim (if possible), then instead of roughing it out with sandpaper and paint, use one of those ready cut films. They are usually made of high-heat good bonding vinyl. With a little patience and creativity you can remove the "bling"

There are "fake chrome" and "brushed aluminum" versions or depending on the color of your dash, use black or simple gray to complement it. That way, you wont run into any issues with your new truck and you would still be able to return it to original whenever you want

You may use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Universal-Carbon...ryZ40017QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or use a complete dash kit made for your X and replace existing trim

Back