Clanking coming from underneath | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clanking coming from underneath

If it’s been driven too much after making the sound you will damage the splines and ruin your factory shaft. Currently the available shafts are all expensive, and junk. I took my shaft into a driveline shop and had them weld a new spline end in, and balance the shaft, and install a new CV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same. I got the complete Dana/Spicer unit off RockAuto and had a driveline shop weld it on and balance it. Smooth as silk now...

Same. I got the complete Dana/Spicer unit off RockAuto and had a driveline shop weld it on and balance it. Smooth as silk now...
My previous rebuild had about 50k on it when I parked the truck. I tried one of the cheap compete driveshafts and it failed twice in a year.

I had one driveshaft made without a CV joint, but a simple u-joint instead. It worked, and was about $140 in 2004, but it vibrated too much at speed. The CV joint is special, but it is a weak link.

Yeah by ‘complete unit’ I mean complete CV joint that must be welded to the original shaft...not the Dorman repair kit.

If it’s been driven too much after making the sound you will damage the splines and ruin your factory shaft. Currently the available shafts are all expensive, and junk. I took my shaft into a driveline shop and had them weld a new spline end in, and balance the shaft, and install a new CV.
I just picked one up thanks everyone

What’d you get?
Cv joint, but the drive shaft splines were neatly smooth so I temporarily took the drive shaft out.
Now I have a question about tire size. Let me see where do I post about that.

You can just post it here. Careful it’ll slowly roll in park with no front shaft.

You can just post it here. Careful it’ll slowly roll in park with no front shaft.
Yikes i dont have an e brake either. Ok I inherited this 2000 Eddie edition from my brother. It had 265/70/R16 tires all the way around it. I took it to WalMart to gwt new tires on front because it felt like one on drivers side had slipped belt.I asked for 255/70/R16 but they would only do that if I bought 4 tires that size. Not in my budget I opted to get two new 265/R16 put on front. I was under it messing withh the drive shaft and noticed the upper ball joint was rubbing the sidewall of the tire. There is no clearance at all between to upper ball and sidewall. I have a video that I would like you to view. Could it be the upper ball joint is bad or those tires will never fit the truch wirhout rubbing the side wall.

So you’re running the same size tires, just two new and two old?
V6 or V8?

So you’re running the same size tires, just two new and two old?
V6 or V8?
V6 the other tires were not that old. I thought one had a slipped belt is why I changed them out

The V6 won’t drift in park like the V8s will. Are the tires the same brand and model? If not they aren’t likely to be the same size, which can cause issues.

They are the same brand?

in addition to what mbrooks said, a 265/70/16 is smaller than the max tire size of a 31x10.50x15 (which to my knowledge only polishes your sway bar)... so i doubt its the tire size, so maybe the UCA? dunno... all i can say is its probably not the tires

edit: either ball joints or uca... prolly ball joints tho

They are the same brand?
Let me check
They are the same brand?

in addition to what mbrooks said, a 265/70/16 is smaller than the max tire size of a 31x10.50x15 (which to my knowledge only polishes your sway bar)... so i doubt its the tire size, so maybe the UCA? dunno... all i can say is its probably not the tires
I have company right now I will get back with you a little later, thanks

Factory wheels?

The BJ's shouldn't be touching at rest at all, about 1/4" clearance is what I'd call a minimum, more is better. Those wheels must be non stock and have a width or offset that has placed the wheel and tire much further inward.

You can't drive that much distance at all, it will blow the tire, that's the metal outer surface of the upper BJ. The tire flexes inward during cornering, there has to be a decent gap between the BJ and tire, at rest.

It also looks like the BJ's are very old, cracking and maybe soon losing grease. When you next get a chance, I'd have all of the BJ's checked for wear, and be prepared to need to replace some of them soon.

The factory 16" tires were 255/70/16's, which are 30" tall. That 265/70 is 1/2" taller, 30.5", that isn't too big at all, but the speedometer is reading slightly slower than accurate, maybe 2-3% off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I asked for 255's when I went to Wal Mart. They said they could only put on what they took off, 265's unless I bought for 255's. The installer did not mention the bj rubbing on the inside sidewall, which I would have thought he would have noticed. I did not notice the tire they took off which was a 265 having a ring rubbed around the sidewall on that tire. presently I have 265 Tiaga A/T Vee Rubber on the back and on the front Good Year Wrangler. The spare is also a Tiaga A/T. All theses tires are next to new, All were purchased at Walmart. I could not afford 4 new tires. then or now. I wonder if I take my truck there if they will make me a decent deal trading all these new 265"s for 255"s? I don"t have any other options.

Back