Cleaning & Conditioner for Leather Seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning & Conditioner for Leather Seats

2013 Ex Leather Seats

Anyone know if the leather Ford uses is "finished / coated" leather? I know there is a water drop test, just haven't had the time to try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if the leather Ford uses is "finished / coated" leather? I know there is a water drop test, just haven't had the time to try.
Welcome to the Forum BigDog13.:wavey:
Unfortunately I don't know about "finished / coated" leather, nor the water droip test. Whatever it is I doubt it is the same high quality leather like that found in the 'King Ranch Edition'.
Here in Canada the manual says to use Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner. Then it goes on about other steps to clean the leather.

Peter

The leather that is used in our explorers is what we call in the shoe industry corrected leather , or PU leather. This is a very inexpensive piece of leather with a coating , that gives the leather a much higher quality look to it than it really is. You can use either a leather cleaner on it or a vinyl cleaner , it will not make a difference to it . On some badly stained areas on my lt stone colored seats I have used both spray nine and windex to clean them. The leather used in my fathers Lincoln MKZ is Bridge of Weir , which is a very soft leather with an Aniline finish on it , you can ONLY use a good quality leather cleaner on those , otherwise you will stain the leather .Hope this helps. Shoe

The Explorer owners's manual recommends using "Lexol" on the leather seats. I've always used it and will continue to do so - never had a problem with cracking, etc.

The leather that is used in our explorers is what we call in the shoe industry corrected leather , or PU leather. This is a very inexpensive piece of leather with a coating , that gives the leather a much higher quality look to it than it really is. You can use either a leather cleaner on it or a vinyl cleaner , it will not make a difference to it . On some badly stained areas on my lt stone colored seats I have used both spray nine and windex to clean them. The leather used in my fathers Lincoln MKZ is Bridge of Weir , which is a very soft leather with an Aniline finish on it , you can ONLY use a good quality leather cleaner on those , otherwise you will stain the leather .Hope this helps. Shoe
Hey Shoe. Nice to hear from you again. Hope everything is good with your Ex. Explorer that is.;)

Peter

The Explorer owners's manual recommends using "Lexol" on the leather seats........
That must be another update to the original printing of the manual. Mine makes no such mention.
It would be nice if Ford had a place an owner could go to see what changes/updates have been made to the original manual without having to print off 400 + online pages of the manual or having to buy a new one every now and then.

Peter

Thanks to all for the replies. If the leather is coated/ finished which I believe, based on some of the comments and other material I have read, it is. Leather products will not have any effect as the coating is vinyl. I will be using Aerospace 303 on mine.

It really prompted me to check my OM-2012 Ford Explorer 2 Edition printing and I found the following:

LEATHER SEATS (IF EQUIPPED)
• Remove dust and loose dirt with a vacuum cleaner.
• Clean spills and stains as quickly as possible.
• For routine cleaning, wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth. For
more thorough cleaning, wipe the surface with a mild soap and water
solution. In Canada, use Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner (CXC-93). Dry the
area with a soft cloth.
• If the leather cannot be completely cleaned using a mild soap and
water solution, the leather may be cleaned using a commercially
available leather cleaning product designed for automotive interiors.
• To check for compatibility, first test any cleaner or stain remover on
an inconspicuous part of the leather.
• Do not use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or
cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl and plastics, or oil/petroleum-based
leather conditioners. These products may cause premature wearing or
damage to the leather.

Also check out of curiosity OM-2013 Ford Explorer 1 Edition printing:

CLEANING LEATHER SEATS (IF EQUIPPED)
• Remove dust and loose dirt with a vacuum cleaner.
• Clean spills and stains as quickly as possible.
• For routine cleaning, wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth. For more
thorough cleaning, wipe the surface with a mild soap and water solution.
In Canada, use Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner . Dry the area with a soft cloth.
• If the leather cannot be completely cleaned using a mild soap and
water solution, the leather may be cleaned using a commercially
available leather cleaning product designed for automotive interiors.
• To check for compatibility, first test any cleaner or stain remover on
an inconspicuous part of the leather.
• Do not use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or
cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl and plastics, or oil/petroleum-based
leather conditioners. These products may cause premature wearing or
damage to the leather.

The only product mentioned is Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Bobby

Oooooooops, I stand corrected ! I didn't see Ford's recommendation in the owner's manual but on their site "Caring for your vehicle" ...

Quote:http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...=1233679193749&parentrightrecid=1239636411265

"Leather care:
If your vehicle features leather upholstery, maintaining its beauty and protecting it from damage requires regular cleaning and conditioning. We recommend using Lexol-ph Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner at least once every six months."

Sorry 'bout that folks !

David

Hi Peter all is well thanks . Always trolling the threads , see if there is something interesting going on.

Thanks for the clarification grrtrqinman!!!

All the best
Bobby

Yea, I'm at around 31k miles and the driver seat has started "streaking" and it sucks for me because this is actually the first car I've gotten with leather interiors. Is there something to be done to minimize it other than conditioners and wipes?

Best way to treat/clean Leather Seats?

What product(s) do you all use to wipe down and keep your leather seats clean? Do you recommend anything specific that Ford can sell you? Or is it something I can get at Autozone? I don't want something that makes the leather greasy.

Thanks,

Vacuum light dust off. Whip with Lexol Leather Conditioner (brown bottle). If your leather is really dirty, clean first with the Lexol cleaner (orange bottle).

vacuum light dust off. Whip with lexol leather conditioner (brown bottle). If your leather is really dirty, clean first with the lexol cleaner (orange bottle).

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I have used Lexol for years with excellent results......best regards Plum

Vacuum light dust off. Whip with Lexol Leather Conditioner (brown bottle). If your leather is really dirty, clean first with the Lexol cleaner (orange bottle).

Agreed! :thumbsup:

If using Lexol PH & Lexol conditioner

These products are recommended in the Ex manual for leather, but both bottles say not for dyed leather.

Isnt the Ex black/slate/tan interior leather dyed?

Anyone use this ?

Are any part of the doors leather ?
(button area, arm rest, window area)

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used Lexol products over the years on many vehicles with leather seats etc. Still using it on the 59 Jag XK150S, 2011 Mustang and 2013 Explorer. Never had a problem, and found it to be an excellent product........best regards Plum

Back