• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning IAC...

97WillowXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97
I just can't seem to get that black cap off....

I twist, I pull, I pry....

It feels like it's going to break and doesn't budge at all, just twists...

Is there a secret?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace the IAC, cleaning is at best a temp fix, is a wear item

What all does it effect besides the occassional sound of a ghost living in my engine bay?

in my case it caused rough idle when warm,hard starts along with the loud whine.

i replaced mine $58 and now shes perfect again..

I have 0 idle problems, 0 starting problems....

Just the whine.

well do what you like.....i personaly could deal with the idle/starting probs..the whine is what pissed me off ALOT..lol

Some aren't cleanable. The cap is fixed, and will only go on, not come off. Live with the whine, or replace it.

My IAC caused my truck not to start...period. The valve wouldnt open alowing air inside because there is so much crap inside. I cleaned it and that worked for 2 weeks then went back to how it was. Ended up buying a new one at napa. I would reccomending buying a new one because it could leave your stranded somewhere!

IAC question

A couple of questions for those that know a bit about parts: AutoZone sells a Wells brand part, but O'Reilly sells Borg-Warner and Motorcraft brand parts. The Wells and Borg-Warner are comparable at about $40, but the Motorcraft part is twice that much. Is it that good, or just because it's a recommended Ford/OEM-type part?

whats "reccomended" is motorcraft since thats ford OEM.

Im sure wells and borg-warner is fine...however I never heard of them...
I forgot what I got at napa but it was $60

Back