Clear Tail light Project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear Tail light Project

Has Anyone ever dared to try clear tail lights? I know they're illegal, but I know i've seen them on some peoples cars anyway haha.

I'm think about picking these up off eBay to do a spray project with them. I want my signals and reverse to be clear. Haven't decided if I wanna make the center black or just red.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-1999-2000-2001-FORD-EXPLORER-ALL-CLEAR-TAIL-LIGHTS_W0QQitemZ270363288239QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item270363288239&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

For those who know me, I posted another thread awhile back concerning having a fully blacked out set-up or a euro look, so I have the parts to complete either setup but i'm so damn indecisive w/ lights......:confused:

Lemme know ur opinion, or if you've ever done a similar project or have clears!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

I like the idea, it seems a little bit counter intuitive to buy clear lights and make them red, but i understand that's the only way to get rid of the amber signals. I have always and will always be against blacked out taillights, but if you do decide on black, i'm thinking you'd have to paint them red first and then black, so that when lit up they still shine red.

I can tolerate them if on a light colored car, but my neighbor has a black Ex EB, and clear tails. Looks weird. They look good on newer cars, but his just looks well, nah.

:thumbsup:Agree w/J.D.

I like the idea, it seems a little bit counter intuitive to buy clear lights and make them red, but i understand that's the only way to get rid of the amber signals.

Au contraire:

bum1.jpg

Search for "Candy Apple Mod" on the site. ;)

(I now have them slightly tinted with one coat of VHT Nightshades and a boatload of clearcoat).

I meant to get rid of the amber in favor of clear/white. I know about the candy apple, i was asking you about it recently.

I meant to get rid of the amber in favor of clear/white. I know about the candy apple, i was asking you about it recently.

Gotcha. I remember your PM.

I looked at those clear tails several years ago and they just didn't appeal to me at the end of the day. I don't even care for them on vehicles that come stock with them (i.e. Lexus RX series SUVs). I also considered getting a set and applying a coat or two of Candy Apple to do away with the amber as you said, but I didn't see the point of paying more than I would for an OEM set and most likely get lesser quality to boot. I've yet to hear of a set of aftermarket tails that meet or exceed the quality of OEM tails but have heard plenting of leaking stories with aftermarket. :thumbdwn:

if you do decide on black, i'm thinking you'd have to paint them red first and then black, so that when lit up they still shine red.

Yea, i had thought about that already, not looking forward to it haha

Au contraire:

bum1.jpg

Search for "Candy Apple Mod" on the site. ;)

(I now have them slightly tinted with one coat of VHT Nightshades and a boatload of clearcoat).

I actually had my tail lights like this for awhile, before i made my first set of blackouts

The thing is I have blackouts now and a euro set-up (that actually came off Mounty71's) rig so I could sell either set or both to help pay for the new ones. I just don't know......Mounty71 is prob sitting there laughing cuz he knows me just enough to know i'm never happy w/ my damn lights haha. Here's the link to that post I mentioned earlier:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223850

Thanks for the input so far, I greatly appreciate it and welcome more....

Hey, I like how those look!

bump-age

Back