Click/Crunch When Turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Click/Crunch When Turning

Reaction score
City, State
Hot Springs, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer, 4.0
Hey guys. I'm completely new to DIY repairs, so please excuse me if I don't know the correct terminologies and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm having an issue where, when I turn, I'm feeling and hearing a loud pop that feels like it's coming from the wheels. This happens on the left wheel when turning left, and the right wheel when turning right. My initial thought was: it's just a loose wheel, but I have check countless times, and the wheels are both firmly attached.

This popping noise is also evidently when making any sort of quick incline change, such as a sudden steep hill, large speed bumps, etc.

I believe that this is likely some sort of suspension issue, but really have no idea.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? It seems pretty obvious that something is broken or needs to be replaced, but I have no clue what it would be. I'd appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

Inspect ball joints, they are likely to have gone bad.

Finally got it figured out. SoCal2V - my first thought was ball joints too, but they all seem fine. It appears to be a bad sway bar link on the passenger side. It lost (at least) one bushing - even though they were replaced less than a year ago. I believe the links are still under warranty though, so no big deal.

Thanks so much for your help!

Back