• Register Today It's free!

Clunk When Turning (At Speed)

AppleTech

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
So I haven't been able to track this down. 2004 Explorer SportTrac. When there is a suspension shift and weight is taken OFF the passenger side front wheel (for instance when turning right), I get a loud CLUNK. It sounds like some kind of tension is being released. It resets. So if I go straight down the road and swerve left then right I can cause it to happen. It normally happens when I make any turn where there is a suspension height change.

Its a substantial sound but I don't feel it through the steering wheel, so I don't think it is steering related. I can feel vibration on the body/frame from my foot on the floor so I think its on the frame/body. I've had the truck up and pried/tugged at the front suspension and everything seems solid with no play.

Any ideas what it could be? Could there be something wonky with the torsion bars that would cause that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I just had a look around under the truck and it looks like it MIGHT be the fact that one of the sway bar bushing is just gone. Only half of it is there. So I'll try replacing that and see how it goes!

Did that fix it? I break the links often and what you described is what I usually hear when one is broken.

Yep - cheap and easy fix. They were cheap aftermarkets so I don't intend them to last long but that's my MO on this truck... drive it until it breaks and use cheap parts lol.

Sway bar link bushings are a common problem on these trucks. Glad that was your fix!

Back