• Register Today It's free!

climate control backlights

Ranger Rick

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer AWD
The back lighting is out on two of the buttons of my climate control panel. This is a '98 Mountaineer with the automatic climate control system. Most of the panel lights up fine, except the two right-most buttons (def/floor & defrost). Is this a serviceable part with an off-the-shelf bulb, or is sealed up and not accessible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may only have one bulb out, since often one bulb illuminates multiple buttons. The bulbs are replacable; you have to pull the climate control unit out and access them from behind. If you do this, go ahead and replace all of the bulbs in the unit.

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll probably dig into over the holiday break.

I recently had to replace the same bulbs on my 95 Limited. The Ford part number is
F5VF-13B765-AA. My control unit had the part number with the last "A" omitted. I searched extensively but was unable to find an "off the shelf" replacement anywhere and finally went to Ford. Be warned, these tiny little bulbs cost around $15 EACH. I needed four, OUCH! There are five of these bulbs to illuminate the buttons in the unit along with one single hi/lo bulb for the display. You'll need to remove the control from the dash and unsnap the front panel to gain access to the bulbs.

Ford told me the same thing re my insturment panel lights, However, I found that I could just replace the bulbs at the auto barts store for much less.

You can replace them with LEDs.

Link

Automatic Climate Control Bulbs

I'm aware of LED conversion but it's a bit more difficult and time consuming when it comes to the Automatic Climate Control panel. I was unable to find anything even close in any FLAPS or online from lamp suppliers. If someone has found them at a local store please share with us. I'm sure there are many guys on this forum who are looking for a cost effective solution. I know there are lots of guys on Lincoln and Ford forums who are looking for a source for these bulbs too.

I have no pity for the owners of Lincoln vehicles. That's like feeling sorry for someone in a Mercedes.

Conversions will take more effort but reap long lasting rewards.

I'm aware of LED conversion but it's a bit more difficult and time consuming when it comes to the Automatic Climate Control panel. I was unable to find anything even close in any FLAPS or online from lamp suppliers. If someone has found them at a local store please share with us. I'm sure there are many guys on this forum who are looking for a cost effective solution. I know there are lots of guys on Lincoln and Ford forums who are looking for a source for these bulbs too.

jd944: I had to replace my CEL light to pass inspection. Ford charged me about $12 for the bulb, which included the little brown holder the bulb fits into and then twists into the backplane. I later found that I could buy just the bulbs at the auto parts store for less than $1, and just reuse the little brown holder. IF (an assumption) the climate control lights work on the same principle, you should be able to do the same thing. You will probably have to pull the unit and get a bulb out to take with you. Unfortunately, I did not write down any part numbers when I did this.

The Automatic Climate Control bulbs are NOT the same as the regular A/C and heat controls with the round dials. The bulb and the holder are fused together. I went to three different NAPA's, a couple of Autotzones and a couple of Advance Auto's. Nobody in any of those places ever saw anything like these bulbs and had no listing for them. Trust me, I did a ton of research before a laid out 15 bucks a bulb. The issue is well documented on various other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury sites just Google the part number I posted. I have a spare control and took pictures of it and the bulbs but I can't figure out how to post them.

jd: Bummer - Hope you can post pics of yours - I have at least one bulb in my ACC control unit gone and would like to see it and find out how big a PITA it will be to replace.

Per the Ford website, the F5VF-13B765-AA interchanges with F5VY-13B765-AA. Not a great deal of help there as the list is $18, however this bulb is also used in the rear wiper control assembly. Assuming this is the correct one (about the size of a grain of rice in a small brown or white plastic base), there are a write-ups about replacing the bulb itself with radioshack 272-1092 (clear) which cost $2 for a 2-pack. You may need to do a little work to take the old bulb out of the plastic holder and then trim the wire leads after putting in the new bulb, but that seems like a minor hassle to save $$ if you are replacing multiple bulbs. You have to dissasemble the unit anyway so worst case senario it doesn't work and your out a couple bucks & little time fussing with it. Should give you a chance to break out the mini drill bit and soldering iron with the sharp tip if it truly is fused together.

That is excellent information. I saved a couple of burned out bulbs to use to match up with the new ones. I plan to stop by Radio Shack and pick up a couple of those bare lamps and see how hard it is to remove the old bulb and install the new ones. Do you have a link to the write-up?

It worked for me, but removing the old bulbs from the socket and installing the new ones is difficult. I needed a magnifying glass and a really small drill to remove the old wires to help with the removal. Then pulled the old bulb out. Reinstall was easy, thread the new bulbs wires into the socket and a super small amt do solder to attach the wires to the socket. A small dental tool will help position the wires. It does work, but patience is key.

Agreed - I used the tip of an Xacto knife, tweezers, and a magnifying glass to move the wires around. Gets easier after you do a couple.

or you could have just gone to www.autolumination.com and bought some T10 replacement bulbs for less than $2 a piece. shipping is a bit high, so buy extras.

Koda2000,
I tried that, look the same but the contacts on the base are wrong.
I switched the new bulbs into my old bases(at least the ones I didnt break)
Still cheaper than Ford but what a pain in the arse. I gotta hit a jy for a couple more correct bases to get 'em all working.

Koda2000,
I tried that, look the same but the contacts on the base are wrong.
I switched the new bulbs into my old bases(at least the ones I didnt break)
Still cheaper than Ford but what a pain in the arse. I gotta hit a jy for a couple more correct bases to get 'em all working.

humph, someone here had reported that the T10's were a direct replacement. close but no cigar I guess... did you contact autoluminations to see if they carry the correct bulb? I know the T10's fit the wiper, fog light and defogger switches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back