Cluncking durring acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cluncking durring acceleration

techforay

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 ford explorer that has started clunking durring acceleration. After braking almost to a stop and then accelerating, I get a repetitive clunck for the short period of time. Can anyone tell me of a know issue that might cause that. The vehicle has 111K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it clunking or does it sound like knock retard? Is it there when it's warmed up or just when it's cold?

When was the last time you did a brake job? Did something get left out or misplaced?

It is not an engine knock. I would describe it as a sound similar you what I would here from a bad ujoint. It is a clunck or thump from under the car and not an engine sound. I dont think it is brake. My hope is that it is not transmission related. Whatever it is is repetitive. It cluncks four or five times before it stops. It does not happen during braking but it does during acceleration after braking.

I had this issue on my '02 Mounty V8 AWD and it turned out to be the from driveshaft cv was shot, replaced the whole driveshaft and clunk went away

THis is exactly the issue my '02 Explorer has.
It's definitely an "after it's warmed up" problem. The car loves the cold starts.
It's been in the shop and they've confirmed its not the transmission, but thank you wyomechanic - I'll get them to look at the driveshaft ( I'm using a different shop with a sharper mechanic now after getting nickled & dimed by a larger franchise ).

differential mount bushings as well

Also have them look at the differential mount bushings my upper one was shot which would cause added stress on the differential as well as radiatin down to the front driveshaft

Recently repaired the acceleration clunk noise a 03 Mountaineer AWD. Sounded like a jackhammer under the truck when taking off, worse when going uphill or under a heavy load.

Before this the front pop shaft CV joint had begun binding up, to the point whole truck was vibrating. Rebuilt the shaft with new CV joint, only for the front yolk to shear a week later. This failure took out a chunk of the trans bell housing, damaging the pan which also crushed the solenoid pack. So had to replace entire shaft anyway. Fortunately could salvage the solenoid pack, only a few traces had been broken so just needed minor electrical repair.

Did also replace rear u-joints. Had slight play causing some vibration at highway speed. Though not related to the acceleration clunk. Didn't mess with the shaft's slip-yolk. Believe that was more of an issue with later F-150's. Even after 300K on the ODO that movement was smooth.

Resorted to pulling the transfer case and replacing the chain. Theory being it got stretched when the front shaft had the binding issue. Though the jackhammering didn't start until several months after previous repairs had been done. Side by side couldn't see any noticeable difference in chain length between old and new but replaced it anyway. Also of note, the output shaft splines were a bit rusty. Removing the T-case was a light struggle and greased them thoroughly on reassembly. Also noticed slight play in the planetary gears. Play was ~.5mm for all four though spun smoothly. But needed truck back on the road, couldn't wait to order a new one and gambled on it still being in spec. ~75K prior I did have the T-case apart to replace the viscous coupler. Not my first rodeo having that apart. A shout-out to STE Couplers. Their reman has been holding up well.

So can't be sure if it was in fact the chain stretch or rusted shaft splines but after all this the Explody is driving driving better than ever.

Back