Clunking sound when braking?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hey guys, I've been driving around and I've experienced some clunking and sudden thuds/jerk when braking. It did that for the first 10 minutes and then it stopped after a while. What could be causing this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say it stopped for awhile? How long between no clunking? More info please.

From when I started the car, I started to drive. When I first braked, there was a clunk and jerk. Then when I accelerated and after 1 minute I had to stop, it did it again. The next few times, there were no clunks and clunks in between. What could be causing this? Is it the transmission or brakes? It did go away after I drove a bit but I don't think the clunk is normal =/

Sounds like your brake pads, this is fairly typical. What you are hearing most likely is the brake pads moving. Example, you stop and its raining. Sometimes the rotor gets a build up of rust. When you first start driving it takes a few minutes to scrub that off and it can sometimes grab the pad and slide it back and forth. Due to tolerance sometimes there is just a little side to side play in the brake pads. My Mazda I had before my Explorer had this problem. Not seeing the issue this is just an opinion.

i have the same issue. my though was a loose caliper bracket. Mines going to dealer tomorrow for a whole list of things

Hi guys,

I’m sorry to hear that you have been having noises while braking, and I would like to reach out to assist by escalating the concern. So I can help, please send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Back