Grinding sound when braking

slpdave

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello all, here is question #2.

I have an intermittent grinding sound coming from the front end of my Explorer (2000 XLT).

It happens only when I brake at slow speeds, but only sometimes. It sounds just like a worn out brake pad getting into the rotor but I have replaced the pads twice since this sound started. I had ceramic pads on first thought it was them, put bi-metalic on and it does the exact same sound. there is no degradation of braking power it just sounds bad....but only sometimes. the frequency is a few times a day but only once every month or 2.

David

timleedude said:
When you changed your brake pads, did you put some of that Brake Quiet Gel Goo or Brake Caliper Grease in back of the pads/shims? It will reduce some of that vibration/squeeling noise when braking.

Here's product links at CheckerAuto.com
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryCode=3223&SearchFor=Brake Quiet

-Tim

The noise is not anywhere close to a squeeling/vibration it is a grind of metal grinding metal, sounds just like the rivet that held the brake pad and the metal back together car getting into the rotor and tearing the crap out of it on my first car (a Chevrolet Monza), and no I did not put grease on the back of the pads. I did put some anti vibration pads on the back of the brake pads. They had an adhesive backing on them. I did check them, they were still in place and showed no visible signs of damage.

David

I have a similar problem. Change out 4 rotors and put on 4 new ceramic brake pads. Main reason, eliminate "squishy" pedal and no more brake dust. Amazingly, brake pedal feel is much improved and dust is almost eliminated. Here is the problem: When going down hill or decelerating from highway speeds to a stop in a hurry, the brakes makes a grinding sound. The sound is identical to that of someone who wore their brakes down to nothing and is destryoing their rotors............I've been there. No squealing or rattling. After the brakes cool, no more grinding noise. I reached home, removed tires and checked the rotors. There are no signs of excessive wear, no grooves and still lots of meat on the pads. Seems to only happen when the pads gets hot. Any input to this? I am guessing that ceramic pads react differently to the steel rotors when they get really hot vs. semi metallic pads. Also, no reduction in braking distance, just a disturbing, loud grinding noise during hard, long braking.

Back