Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
i have a 1991 explorer 4.0 v6 5 speed manual

i cant locate the clutch fluid reserviour
can any one help me with this problem
i currently having problems shifting into first gear and reverse
thank you :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its not much of a reservoir compared to the one's on the f-150's

its just a small container by the brake booster

if your low on fluid i would suggest bleeding the line as well

If if your not low on fluid you still may have air in the line. You will have to replace the clutch slave cylinder most likely, but bleeding is a decent band-aid in the mean time. While your replacing the s.c. you probably should go ahead and replace the cluth, pressure plate, and bearings since they are most likley worn out as well ;).

good luck

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
its not much of a reservoir compared to the one's on the f-150's

its just a small container by the brake booster

if your low on fluid i would suggest bleeding the line as well

What does the container look like and do you know where i can bleed it from?

what kind of cluch fluid should i be using????

Do you happen to have a haynes or chiltons manual? The whole process is described in those manuals. Before you go and put in a new clutch and throwout bearing and slave cylinder, you should try changing the transimission fluid over to full synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Yes it should be ATF, that is specced for use in mecron using applications. I ordered some from Amsoil off the internet. Once i put it in the tranny, it shifts so smoothly now, its even a little easier to get it into 1st and reverse now. You will need 2.5 quarts of ATF to replace the old stuff. I would do this before worring about the clutch fluid.

As for the location of the clutch cylinder, it is on the drivers side of the firewall tucked in beside the brake booster.

Difficulty shifting into first and reverse are classic signs of a slave cylinder going out and letting air into the system. Bleed the clutch first, it's free, and should give you noticable improvement. The clutch system itself uses DOT 3 brake fluid, NOT atf :)

Back