Clutch pedal hit the floor. 2nd time. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch pedal hit the floor. 2nd time.

acschilling

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
92 XLT OHV.

My clutch pedal hit the floor AGAIN this morning. Limped it to the mechanic's (just across the street Thank God) in second gear who helped me out with this issue two months ago at the beginning of April. (Clutch pedal had to be kept nearly on the floor while driving).

Same story. Truck had been resting for about 6 days (Saturday-Fridayish), hopped in to fire it up and the pedal went to the floor. Started it in second, limped it in second to the mechanics where he bled it and had it shifting like normal.

I'm expecting the bleed process to work again this time, I am just curious what I might be facing here. I understand the nature of slave cylinders with trucks and it's a non-Motorcraft part (3 yrs old) - I know, I know. If the slave is leaking does the brake fluid go directly into the transmission?

Thanks for understanding!

It would leak in the bell housing, not inside the trans.

If the master has a decent leak, it won't take long to empty the reservoir, it's tiny. Keep an eye on the fluid level.

I would guess and say it has air bubbles in the master line. If you don't want to remove the master to bleed it, you can gravity bleed it and tap on the bends to help bubbles escape.

I can see bubbles being the issue, because the they can get trapped in the bends, and eventually work their way to the slave.

To check if the slave is leaking, you can pull the big rubber plug on the drivers' side of the trans, shine a flashlight in there and use an inspection mirror to check for a puddle of brake fluid or a coating of it. If brake fluid comes out when you pull the rubber plug, there's a leak. Make sure you don't mistake oil from a leaking rear main seal for brake fluid.

The master cyl usually leaks downward and onto the floor mat.

Check the fluid level at the reservoir - if the reservoir isn't low, even slightly, then you have some other kind of issue other than a fluid leak.

If/when you ever need to replace clutch sytem parts, you should consider replacing them all at once with all 93-01 Explorer parts. The clutch, master, slave, and line for the 93-01 Explorer fits in place of the older parts for the 91-92 and are a much better "revised" design. Even the parts for the 98-01 are "revised" replacements for those on the 93-94 and 95-96. You should swap them all out as a system though, not a very good idea to use any 91-92 parts in combination with the newer ones.

I would suggest using only Motorcraft parts for the master and slave cylinders. They are higher quality than what you will find in the aftermarket and will last longer.

Centerforce Stage II kit, Flywheel from Advance, CF release bearing and (this is embarrassing) AC Delco slave professionally installed August '12. Sounds like a mess

So I took it in. No place to comfortably do it myself.

Yesterday I got a call after it was all taken apart because the connection between the hydraulic line and slave was way off from what the book procedure is describing. There is supposed to be a white ring on the end of the line that connects the slave according to the book that also facilitates the removal tool.

The connections between the old Delco slave and new Ford slave are too different. Ford slave has little fingers inside the connection; Delco slave did not and had two grooves and a c-clip holding the line in place. Since the white ring was not re-installed 2 1/2 yrs ago, the hydraulic line had to be forced out.

The dilemma right now is either locating another of these white connectors to fit the Ford slave, a new hydraulic line that includes one of these decently priced, or fitting the Delco slave connector onto the Ford slave and using the Delco engineered c-clip where they meet.

Bell housing was wet BTW

B!#ch

Back