• Register Today It's free!

Clutch won't engage

kona_mtb

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Last night I drove my 91 explorer to school. Everything was fine. Park outside in about -25 degree celius weather. Left it parked in 1st gear. Went to turn it on and it instantly stalled and the clutch pedal had no pressure. Easy to push down and took like 10 seconds to return to place. It would however start fine if I took it out of gear, I just couldnt put it into gear. After warming up for about 15 minutes it let me put it into gear and drive. Once I got home everything seemed normal except a little less pressure in the clutch pedal.

I plugged the truck in last night and this morning the same thing happened but once it wouldn't let me put it into gear without stalling I just left it parked.

What could the problem be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your clutch fluid reservoir. If its been a while (couple years) since the clutch has been changed or if ever to your knowledge, it could be low. If it's empty your going to have to bleed your clutch.

K thanks. How do I bleed the system?

Also, could it been that a line or something burst due to the cold? I don't see why it would go from working fine to not working at all if the fluid was low but I will check.

If it would have burst, it would have happened under HIGH pressure. Same token, you would have noticed that high pressure to. Don't think -25 deg Cel is close to the freezing point for DOT3 brake fluid. Idk might want to check, but I'm sure it's not close.

If it would have burst, it would have happened under HIGH pressure. Same token, you would have noticed that high pressure to. Don't think -25 deg Cel is close to the freezing point for DOT3 brake fluid. Idk might want to check, but I'm sure it's not close.

Okay thanks alot man, ill check the fluid level when I get home

Back