CMHSL "Center Mounted High Stop Lamp" repro desirability inquiry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CMHSL "Center Mounted High Stop Lamp" repro desirability inquiry

ChildIdenticant

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
I have adequate samples to make faithful repros happen in either cast or IM. If you are interested, just like the the post.
V97xi7I.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t need one but I’m curious what the price would be for one?

I don’t need one but I’m curious what the price would be for one?
Really have no clue atm. I was trying to guage real interest. Casting would always be more expensive. Haven't seen enough interest to justify making an IM mold.
Would likely only be reproducing the lenses.

It would be cool if someone was able to cast the headlight components too but this would definitely come in handy.

Ive been wanting to make reproduced lamps for many years now.

Really have no clue atm. I was trying to guage real interest. Casting would always be more expensive. Haven't seen enough interest to justify making an IM mold.
Would likely only be reproducing the lenses.
I need one

I do not need one now but would buy one to have for future inventory, just in case.

A quality reproduction on the CHSML bulb holder would be awesome, the Dorman bulb holder does not hold up and I have installed lower output bulb to reduce heat. Would LED reduce heat further?
I need one

I do not need one now but would buy one to have for future inventory, just in case.

A quality reproduction on the CHSML bulb holder would be awesome, the Dorman bulb holder does not hold up and I have installed lower output bulb to reduce heat. Would LED reduce heat further?
LED would absolutley reduce heat, but introducing LED's to the brake lights can cause issues.. Uncertain if the third brake light causes the same issues as the others.
Regarding the single rail bulb holder that dorman copied, I have no intention of addressing that. The dorman option exists , and an option existing for these is a luxury. Recommend to anyone who might try to make something better look at the original hardware which was 2 individual boots. Don't know why that was abandoned. Definitely creates better electrical contact.

I spent time separating two units for the basic pattern. I was going to set up a meeting with a local injection molding company if you haven’t moved forward yet.

I spent time separating two units for the basic pattern. I was going to set up a meeting with a local injection molding company if you haven’t moved forward yet.
Only effort I have put into this so far is researching chemical options for removing the lens, as they were glued into the black bezel. This is for casting purposes. IM would be optimal except... only 7or 8 responsesto this thread. By the numbers, making a new injection mold is a loss.
As I have more than 1 NOS/NIB Will probably grind down an assembly from the back to get a perfect lens, then repro by cast.

Only effort I have put into this so far is researching chemical options for removing the lens, as they were glued into the black bezel. This is for casting purposes. IM would be optimal except... only 7or 8 responsesto this thread. By the numbers, making a new injection mold is a loss.
As I have more than 1 NOS/NIB Will probably grind down an assembly from the back to get a perfect lens, then repro by cast.
That is what i did i took took two good ones not new. I separated them into two really nice halves. Sadly i do not have any nos ones as model. I will be looking at molds for my own collection for sure.

I have a 97 with the long skinny 3rd brake light. It works off a ballast and costs an arm and a leg for a new one. One day I was in Walmart Automotive and saw a cut to fit LED strip. I took everything apart and put that in there. I cut the wires and bypassed everything. That was 3 years ago, still works like a charm.

Try a heat gun or blow dryer. It should soften the glue up.

saw a cut to fit LED strip.| That was 3 years ago, still works like a charm.
Main issue with these isn't a working lamp, it's the appearance of the cracked/crazed/ sun beaten lenses for which no replacement option exists.

Try a heat gun or blow dryer. It should soften the glue up.
It's like superglue. heat won't help on them. Also too risky for this. NOS/NIB of this is I think the hardest to find part from first gens.

I have a 97 with the long skinny 3rd brake light. It works off a ballast and costs an arm and a leg for a new one. One day I was in Walmart Automotive and saw a cut to fit LED strip. I took everything apart and put that in there. I cut the wires and bypassed everything. That was 3 years ago, still works like a charm.
I did the same thing, also about 3 years ago.

Back