• Register Today It's free!

Code 157/158 headache

lild123

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993, Explorer XLT
Howdy! New to the forum and I have an issue I was wondering if I could get some help on. Recently I had code 157 for the MAF pop up and I replaced the sensor twice and cleaned the IAC to no avail. I eventually replaced the computer and now it gives me both codes 157/158 and a new code 213 After changing out the EEC. i used to have code 998 failure mode but it went away after installing the new EEC .When you start driving it the MAF codes appear but at idle its fine . What do you all think it might be? Thanks in advance for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are getting both a 157 and a 158 I would start inspecting the engine wiring harness starting with the MAF plug and working along until I found the abraded spot as it sounds like the wires are shorting to ground. 213 may be related.

Also what are your trims? Could be it is doing its job and there is unmetered air getting in there somewhere?

Also what are your trims? Could be it is doing its job and there is unmetered air getting in there somewhere?
Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by trims?

Tested the voltage today and came back with this
Voltage wire 11.55
Constant Ground 0.05 ohms
Signal wire 0.70 1000 rpm idle and increases with throttle

Your fuel trims.
That can point you to either an electrical issue or an air issue.

Does your scanner have freeze frame info? If not, I believe auto zone scanner does and if you post your freeze frame information here we can help you narrow down where to start looking. That will save you a lot of time rather than guessing and throwing parts and computers at it

Your fuel trims.
That can point you to either an electrical issue or an air issue.

Does your scanner have freeze frame info? If not, I believe auto zone scanner does and if you post your freeze frame information here we can help you narrow down where to start looking. That will save you a lot of time rather than guessing and throwing parts and computers at it
I don't have a OBD-1 scanner and i don't believe auto zone does either. where should i start with the fuel trims?

This puts us back to Centaur's suggestion. Google which pins on your eec are the maf signal and google how to do a voltage drop test. This will quickly show you what is going on with the wiring.

Also see if the ignition wires share a ground or harness with that maf wiring.

Sounds like the wires may be snuggling a bit too closely.

Also make sure the maf ground is perfect as there is no wiggle room with that sensor. It may share a ground with a pile of wires.

Figured I’d chime in after all this time. It ended up being the pcm

Thank you for your reply. Every solved problem provides clues for others who are fighting similar problems.

Thank you for your reply. Every solved problem provides clues for others who are fighting similar problems.
Yea sir, it was a hard stuck code wouldn’t go away I bought a used ecm for cheap on partsmarket and sure enough it fixed it.
Edit: had I remembered this thread sooner I would had posted my success earlier

The answer is always appreciated! I have spent many a time finding an exact issue someone posted years before but they never returned to post the resolution haha. Makes me go nuts :)

Back