• Register Today It's free!

Code 214

madmongodog

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer eddie bauer
I recently have gotten a 214 code from my 94 explorer. I pulled the codes and found out what it means. Can anyone explain it to me in simple english? Can the truck be driven with any harm? And what are the "culprits" that are causing this condition? Thank you!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've been driving with a code 214 code since i bought my truck last december. hasn't hurt anything yet. truck always starts.

Code 214 on a 94 explorer

With a code of 214 on my explorer, what sensor would most likely need changed. I see that it lists 4 of them that it can be, but I am looking for the most obvious one. Thank you!

Try resetting the code (disconnect battery for 10 mins) and see if it comes back on. May be a false reading...

Can someone please tell us what this sensor does in relation to the engine management? I've been looking at threads (mine was even one above) and nothing says what the heck this thing does, the threads always end up not saying what we risk by running the truck with a bad camshaft position sensor. Does it keep something from getting destroyed? Are we hurting our Ex's driving it with this problem?

I know on my SHO's, the truck will not fire with a bad CPS. Is this a false code, or something else that can be bad?

cylinder identification sensor circuit failure ( code 214)

could be part of the koeo test procedure ,maybe the sensor see's what cyl is next to be fired or has something to do with the cps maybe it has to see the cps is online to fire and the sensor thats has failed is saying that the next one to be fired is not in order or something to that effect .

or could be a false code and or the cps is monitored by this sensor somehow and is slowlly going out of spec or the cps it's self is slowlly going out of spec.

but if the CPS is bad- what does it do to the truck if it isn't replaced and continues to run fine? What symptoms of a bad CPS would be exhibited- hard starting? Random thuds? Rainbows out the tailpipe?

Back