The whole code #!~*!! 214 thing

bubba123

Reaction score
City, State
DA UP OF MICHIGAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hello all,
I have searched for the code 214 answer here for my '94 Explorer. There seems to be no one thing that you can put your finger on. It could be the crank sensor or the cam sensor or computer etc. So here is a little more info. that maybe someone will recognize. I now have a code 214 with my little hand held reader. After I clear it, the check engine light will come right back on and the code is stored again. I have had trouble with spark knock in the past. The check engine light was out for months and just came back on. The truck does have a cam sensor. Would the spark knock condition indicate the crank sensor is bad? Thus creating the code 214? The truck starts and runs great at 111,000 on the clock. If I do nothing would that be a problem? If it is the cam sensor can I replace just the top without removing the whole thing? Has anyone done this? It looks like quite a job to get to it. I would be very grateful for any light shed on this as I am pretty stumped as to where to go with this. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..this is what i came up with and maybe it will help till someone else chimes in...
(M) = memory code...;)

214 (M) Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal - Ignition Systems

O.K. here is an update. I cleaned the connection to the crank sensor and tested it and got 1.5 volts just like the manual says. Hooked it back up,cleared the code and same thing. Code 214 back in the computer. Just snagged a new Ford brand crank sensor off e-bay for $20 shipped to me. The parts store wanted $76 plus tax. I figured for $20 it was worth a try. Now I wait and try again. :banghead:

Thought they were discussing crank sensors (CKP) not can position (CMP). My 92 only has a CKP sensor, down by the pulley.

I was referring to my 214 code and repair.

3 wire sensors like the crank and cam and throttle all have Power, Signal, and Ground.

Back probe Signal with a meter, other lead grounded. (Signal is almost always the center connection)

Crank will pulse as the ribs on the balancer pass by.
Cam will indicate voltage for 180 degrees and open for the other 180 degrees
Throttle will rise in voltage as the throttle is opened

Back