• Register Today It's free!

Code 41 airbag.

acww

Reaction score
City, State
Greenfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
I have a 1999 Explorer with an airbag code 41 any ideas that may be common to this fault?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply, however, I think that the 1999 Explorer might be different codes than the Mustang. I sure would like to get my hands on all this type of info for code 41 that you sent me for the other codes. Thanks soo much, acww

For a 99 Explorer, it's similar...

41 Front External Crash Sensor Open Circuit or Short to Battery

The diagnostic involves checking several feeds at the SRS CM connector, as well as the resistance at the sensor itself. How comfortable are you in dealing with airbags and multimeters?

Thanks for the reply GIJOECAM

I don't have a problem with either, I have a vgood m/meter and a considerable amount of experience. However, I have zip for info on this airbag code and the proper way to diagnose it. Any help will be appreciated.

Proper diagnosis work on airbag systems not only requires all the specs and procedures you are looking for, but the use of vehicle specific simulators too. In many cases, you cannot diagnose properly without them as many of the connectors are "short" proof for lack of a better term and short across the terminals of the connector when unplugged. They also give the proper resistances needed by the module. In almost all service procedures, you are instructed to unplug the bags and install simulators before beginning your work. You certainly don't want an airbag going off on you.

Hi Cobraguy, thanks for the reply

I knew of the need for simulators for some items to be diagnosed properly, but I was hoping that just maybe there might be a plug or wire issue that I could deal with myself prior to a visit with the Ford garage. That is why I was asking for the code 41 info. Not knowing if it was the front R.H. or front L.H. crash sensor that this was indicating as the fault. I have found from past experiences that the most vulnerable points were, more often than not, the culprit. Thank you, acww

sorry to dig up an old thread, but my 97 just started throwing air bag code 41 tonight. did the op figure out the problem? is there any updated info on this code and what the more common cause is?

thanks!

Back