coil over shock conversion on my 02 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coil over shock conversion on my 02 ST

Valas1969

learning to be expert
Reaction score
City, State
McDonald, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer xlt 02 ST
First off i would like to tell you why i decided to try this. My shocks on the front were bad, but I didn't know at the time exactly how bad. when i pulled the shock out and i pulled on them they had apparently unscrewed from the piston and came apart. LOL. I had been looking at coil over shocks for a little while now thinking there has to be a way i can make them work on the front so i don't have to crank my torsion keys so much to get the lift to level it out. (plus they are a little wore out. So I decided to not only put them on the back but also on the front as an experiment. Here's my mod if you like it great, if you don't that's fine too. Hope it helps some of you. Any questions please ask. :feedback:

These are the parts i used to do the install. (hope i don't get in trouble for this)
Front shocks. http://gabriel.com/mobile/light-vehicle/detailed-product-page?partnum=43099
Rear shocks. http://gabriel.com/mobile/light-vehicle/detailed-product-page?partnum=43171
Shock mount brackets. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/art-90001621

First things first locate your shock.
20160425_192952.jpg

You have to remove the shock.
20160425_194625.jpg

Next identify your bump stop.
20160425_194634.jpg

Then you must remove your bump stop and bracket.
20160425_203546.jpg

20160425_203555.jpg

Then locate your shock mount hole in your lower control arm.
20160425_203647.jpg

Drill your shock mount hole out to 1/2" or 9/16".
20160425_203741.jpg

Install your shock mount bracket in the hole you just drilled out. DO NOT tighten till shock is mounted in the bracket!

20160425_210741.jpg

Compress your coil spring on your shock to make it easier to install. (I had to use the control arm and weight of truck to compress it because I didn't have the right tools lol) i used pull string to hold spring compressed while installing shocks.
20160425_204504.jpg

Install your shock and tighten all your bolts at this time to complete the job.
20160425_210750.jpg

20160425_192952.jpg

20160425_194625.jpg

20160425_194634.jpg

20160425_203546.jpg

20160425_203555.jpg

20160425_203647.jpg

20160425_203741.jpg

20160425_210741.jpg

20160425_204504.jpg

20160425_210750.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the rear shocks I installed that are made for the truck.
20160426_192508.jpg

This is the truck sitting on a somewhat level parking lot.
20160426_192445.jpg

P.S. no torsion twist here just body lift and shocks. :D

20160426_192508.jpg

20160426_192445.jpg

The front lower mount looks a little weak in my opinion. It's only one bolt for each lower bracket, correct? Because that lower mount has a very small spread across the surface of the control arm, I can see that mount eventually wanting to rip that 1/2" hole open, especially since it's right next to that big square hole. If you could have a couple of longer tabs welded on instead, I think you'd be better off. Just my $0.02.

I agree with mounty71, beef up lower mount, apart from that it looks an excellent methods of maintaining ride height.
How's the ride/ handling without the torsion bar fully wound up ?
Also pls indicate Gabriel part nos. As link does not work, thanks.

Just go to Summit and get a t-bar kit and mount that shock the way the LCA is designed. No drilling required and the stress is spread out across both bolt holes.

Why reinvent the wheel here?

Other than that it's a great idea.

And like David asked, please post part numbers.

MT

I think a t-bar is still under-kill for a coilover in this situation. The stock shock mounts weren't designed to support the weight of the vehicle. Plus he already drilled the arms, and there isn't much material separating the bolt holes and the square opening.

Don't worry guys and gals. We've already talked about it and I told him I'd weld the bracket onto the LCA along with adding gussets and welding a piece of flat steel to close the stock shock hole (square hole).

The front lower mount looks a little weak in my opinion. It's only one bolt for each lower bracket, correct? Because that lower mount has a very small spread across the surface of the control arm, I can see that mount eventually wanting to rip that 1/2" hole open, especially since it's right next to that big square hole. If you could have a couple of longer tabs welded on instead, I think you'd be better off. Just my $0.02.
I will be welding the brackets to my control arm soon

Just go to Summit and get a t-bar kit and mount that shock the way the LCA is designed. No drilling required and the stress is spread out across both bolt holes.

Why reinvent the wheel here?

Other than that it's a great idea.

And like David asked, please post part numbers.

MT

You can't put the coil over shocks in the same place as old ones because it won't clear the half shafts. So you have to do it the way I did for clearance.

Do these parts work for a 2wd? About how much of a lift did you get from doing this?

Do these parts work for a 2wd? About how much of a lift did you get from doing this?

They were able to almost level the truck in the front. Yes they would fit on 2wd but you may not have to move where the shock mounts on the control arm.or you may be able to drill out hole on the other side and not have to cut out the bump stop. IDK

They were able to almost level the truck in the front. Yes they would fit on 2wd but you may not have to move where the shock mounts on the control arm.or you may be able to drill out hole on the other side and not have to cut out the bump stop. IDK

So it might not install the same way? And would you happen to have the part number for the front shocks? The link isn't working

Night and day difference riding in this truck with the coilover shocks on all four corners compared to the regular shocks. If I still had IFS I would definitely do this mod because the thing has zero body roll now, doesn't ride like a '80's Chevy solid axle 1 ton truck on leafsprings shimmying all over the road every time it hits a bump. I really like how this truck has transformed from when he first bought it.

Do you plan on eliminating the torsion bars entirely? Once your weld up beefier lower mounts. Is the upper shock mount appropriate to hold the weight of the truck?

I measured from top of my 285/75/16's to bottom of fender and have 7.5" with no torsion twist. Measurement was the same on both sides.

Do you plan on eliminating the torsion bars entirely? Once your weld up beefier lower mounts. Is the upper shock mount appropriate to hold the weight of the truck?
No i have no plans on removing torsion bars. these shocks are only meant to help the t-bars not replace them. I took Midnight Rebel for a fast ride, and i don't mean short, i was taking the turns fast and going over the biggest bumps i could and he even said there was little to no body roll on my truck. I don't baby this thing when i take it out, it is meant to be driven and that's what i do, I drive it hard. I think so far this is one of the best mods I have done so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back