Coils or Coilovers - SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coils or Coilovers - SAS

Steve,

Mine is getting a HP D30 from a YJ Wrangler. Also, I heard a rumor that JoshC is doing the same.

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is what I am going to do for Josh.

RE Long Arm knock off kit.

If you wrist one of the EB arms, it will flex better than the RE kit.

Width is about the same i would guess.

U-joint is a 260. Smaller than a D35 TTB.

OK good, Im not out of my mind. My idea for a SAS in the future was some type of LA system. The similarity between the EB and the "new" Jeep products that seem to be everywhere got me thinking anout stealing some parts to use from the Jeep kits. Ill have to keep a closer eye on your projects Cory.

Ill be interested in seeing the copy of the long arm suspension.

Would a TJ or Cherokee (?J) axle with the 4 link brackets be usable as a starting point, or do they have to be relocated? I know the Early explorer crossmember is a problem- same on the latemodels?

Thanks

So a jeep D30 would work too? Hrm.... But I don't know if I want to cut that corner or not. Never know, one day I may wanna run 37s or so. Might as weel do it right now.

Anybody know any good places in the Midwest to start looking for the a 76-77 EB D44? All the places I know around here are salvage yards and they rape you for this stuff. I need one of those places that you go in and cut it off and haul it out for cheap.

Good luck taxxman! Might want to look for an entire EB- that really worn since they hold thier value well.

The leafs are so much simpler. I havent quite got the 3 and 4 link stuff down, although I think the track bar/ radius arm set up is pretty straght forward. My best friend and I have a project waiting for us. We have a dana 60, a 14 bolt and a 289- we were putting them on his ranger but we tacoed the truck before we got a chance. He just bought a $500 STX- it might be getting that setup soon. We were going to do leafs just becuase you don't have to fuss with the geometry of links- just weld some spring pads on and ubolt the springs on, OK it is a little bit more complicated then that- but not much!

I have seen a Bronco II on a website that was called extremebii.com or something with 37's and a leaf spring setup. The thing was a monster. It flexed really well. I also saw it in Peterson's a few months ago doing some trail in Johnson's valley.

Why not start with coils, then if you want to upgrade in the future- put some coilovers on there? Thats what rick did.

Yeah I'm gonna start with coils cause of the $$$$ I don't think they will be that much harder than coilover. Heck if I could get an EB for cheap I'd keep the X as a DD and mod out the EB or even didtch the X for the EB (sorry guys), but I don't see that happing and I am so far in on this X that I can't get out now, besides it is fun to wheel something unique liuke this.

Last weekend we where at attica and I had gone over this ledge earlier in the day and all these others guys come up and do it so I decide to do it again and they chuckled and laughed when I pulled up, but I made it! Then I laughed. ALthough I didn't do it very gracefully the second time, too many spectators and too much pressure. Thank the lord for my rock rails!

Just gotta find a donor axle.... guess the best way is to start calling everywhere I can find?:confused:, I know of some full size axles I can get my hands on for $100. But then I would have to have it cut. WOuld that be the way to go or can I get the EB D44 for about the same?

How much wider is this Bronco D44 than our rear 8.8?

How bad is it to convert a different EB axle to disc breaks?

Just to let yall know. Jeep D30's never came with a reverse rotation axle. I'm pretty sure that even the 44's that are found in waggy's were all standard rotation also, but someone correct me if i am wrong.

Chris

Originally posted by Isles4evr
Just to let yall know. Jeep D30's never came with a reverse rotation axle. I'm pretty sure that even the 44's that are found in waggy's were all standard rotation also, but someone correct me if i am wrong.

Chris
Actually there is no such thing as a reverse rotation diff (that I know of), but there are reverse cut, high pinion D30s on jeeps. All YJs were just that.

RObb

What is the difference between reverse rotation and reverse cut? I thought they were the same...

Reverse cut r&ps turn in the same direction as a standard cut r&p. Reverse cut just means that the teeth are angled like ///////// instead of \\\\\\\\\. That is about the extent of my knowlege about them. :D From that, it has something to do with the teeth of the gears in the reverse cut being stronger than standard cut gears. I have read that reverse cut (hp) D30s are anywhere from 25%-40% stronger than standard cut (lp) D30s.

Robb

I think reverse rotation and reverse cut are the same, but I could be wrong. From what I understand a reverse cut, High pinion axle is made for the front end and has the teeth cut in an opposite slant. Front ends turn the opposite direction, Thus a regular cut, low pinion would be weaker in a front end, and a reverse cut high pinion would be weaker in the rear. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Alot of guys use reverse cut diff in front and rear to alleviate bad angles, but the RR were intended for only front ends and they are weaker in the rear.
I do know that a low pinion can not be made into a high pinion by turning it over!

Isles....Wrong. I have a HP D30 in my garage right now.

Kirby, you are correct with your explanation.

If you can pull a front end apart to change ball joints or wheel bearings, you can do a disc conversion on a front axle.

Yeah that is what I thought, Cory had explanied it to me a while ago so i had to refresh the momory.

Originally posted by CoryL
Isles....Wrong. I have a HP D30 in my garage right now.

I stand corrected.

What year/model did it come out of?

Back