8" coils or 6"+spacer

Isles4evr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL 2dr
Anyone have any input about the 8" coils for Rangers used on explorers? I think they are made by national and superlift. The reason I ask is because I am unsure of weither to run 8" coils or 6" with my 2" spacer. I have 6" drop brackets for the front, and plan on doing a SOA plus my shackels in the rear. So any info on the 8" coils would be helpful.

Chris

Oh yeah, I am going to ditch the body lift I have on it now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see your biggest obsticle will be radius arms and camber adjustment. I'm close to my max camber and caster with a 1" spacer and 6" springs. If you can solve the alignment problem, I would think this would limit your flex. It would be up to you rather you would prefer lift or flex.

Body Lifts do have advantages. You will have room for an Atlas II transfer case and/or V8 swap. Also help to keep your center of gravity lower to the tera firma.

I don't believe that the alignment aspect will be bad. I have 2 or 2.25 degree bushings in now (those almost maxed out), but with the set up I want... I would use 6" brackets with 8" of lift there for leaving 2" of "non bracketed lift." Right now I have stock coils and brackets with 2" spacers, and it is aligned properly.

But what are you suggestions? Flex is a big issue, but not as big as the guys over on the west coast (not as many rocking crawling adventures here in VA). I don't really want to go more than 8-9" total lift, not including difference in tires.

I have the six inch, and thought about the eights too, but I think it would be a little squirrelly that high on coils, I would keep the body lift since it is already installed, and go six inch, then you have both heighth, and flex, and you don't have to worry about stressing any parts out, spacers under six inch coils is not the same as spacers under stockers, I have had the spacers, and I wouldn't put them under lifted coils, not worth the hassle.

Sorry Chris. I just read your web page. I thought you already had a 6" lift. I'd keep the BL and add 6" suspension or 4" suspension and fiberglass fenders. Be sure what ever kit you go with to get the extended radius arms. I have the Superlift with extended radius arms and superrunner steering. I think that is also a must have (steering), depending on budget. There are plenty of threads debating superlift vs. Skyjacker.

I appreciate the input. I have read all the threads about skyjacker vs superlift. Honestly I would rater get a skyjacker lift, but budget is always the determining factor. Since this truck isn't drivin on the street at all unless it is to trails, and I only ride trails once a month or so, dumping a lot of money into it isn't a priority. I think I will just do the 6" lift with body lift and have at it. I imagen it'll keep me happy.

Thanks
Chris

Back