Cold air coming from the glove compartment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold air coming from the glove compartment

Xl001

Reaction score
City, State
Waupaca wis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
I was gonna liable this “ In dash ice box” I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have ALOT of cold air that comes through the glove compartment in the winter when I’m driving. I’ve had soda get slushy in there .I have to put towels in there to stop the breeze.I’ve looked at the fire wall and can’t seem to see anywhere that it would be coming from. Is this a common problem with this years Explorer (2004)?

Look upwards as well. It's possible that it could be coming from the cowl area.

The door flap for inside/outside air is probably broken. Usually it falls off and covers the blower motor, at which point you know.
But it could just have snapped the control arm and be stuck in the open position.
Which then allows outside air in at all times.

The fresh air door, just above the fan ,did fall off. I cut {hacked...} into the section just above the fan that is right behind the glove box. I was able to pull the door out ,and found that there's a tab that broke off from its control arm. With the help of some epoxy glue, I was able to put it back together.
There are some good videos on YouTube that show you how to do it without having to take the fan out .

Back