Cold running issues

larryt

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ranger 4X4
Cold running issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 88 Ford Ranger 4x4 is in real nice shape, no rust etc...pale blue with a 2.9 V6 and 183,000 kilometers on it. I just got it and it is a great little truck.It has some cold running issues. When it is cold it sputters and hesitates and runs roughly. It does not want to run smoothly when cold.Once it warms up it runs great with no hesitations at all.The only thing I can notice when it is warm is a slightly rough idle of about 1000 rpm. If the truck sits long enough to cool down only partially from full operating temperature the hesitation returns.

I want to get this ironed out and get it running right. Can anyone offer any insight into this ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a useless forum or what ? All this time my question has been up here and not one single reply.....I can't believe that no one here has a clue...... :mad:

USELESS FORUM...i think not! :fire:

You got 4 post and your complaining :thumbdwn: . If your wanting help you just did it the wrong way. Everyone here is very helpful and are NOT obligated to answer anything. Just bump it with some more information if you have and you might get a bite. UNTIL THEN search the forum for helpful information which it is FULL of. :thumbsup:

Sounds like it's in need of a major tune-up. That's probably not the answer your looking for. When is the last time you changed spart plug wires. Check your OHM readings on the wires and see if thay fall into specs. A lot of times when it has to warm up so much it's just some simple tune up issues. Sounds like your not getting the optimum combustion at the cooler temps. Also what heat range plugs. Dist cap?

88 Ranger? Does it have carbruator? I would check the automatic choke and really need a major tune up (with attitude as well, be nice to the forum).

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was a Ford Explorer Enthusiasts Message Board. I guess that would mean that we're EXPLORER enthusiasts first, Rangers just happen to share a common platform, so we felt a forum for the sister-vehicle would be useful to some as they share a lot of common parts between them.

Now, that being said, the 88 Ranger pre-dates 95% of the vehicles on this board (the Explorer didn't come out until '90) so few of us will be well-versed in the detailed engine operating characteristics or mechanics of an '88 Ranger. A decent chunk of us will be versed in the items it shares in common with the first-generation Explorers, but apparently nobody was able to help you with your specific problem.

Furthermore, your original post was on a Friday evening. Things get pretty slow around here from Friday through Monday as a lot of people persue other interests on the weekend. Patience, and a 'bump-itty-bump' post to bring the topic back to the top are not a bad thing. A poor atitude, however, will get you a whole lot of non-responses.

Now, that being said, a couple of things come to mind. One is the air charge temperature sensor mis-reading. Another is a bad idle air control valve. Another is a thermostat that's allowing the engine to cool down too much at idle, sending it into a cold-enrichment mode unnecessarily. Could be an EGR problem. Could be a bad electrical connection on a circuit board. Could be as simple as needing a good tune-up (plugs, wires, fuel filter, dist. cap if so-equipped). It'll take some troubleshooting by a fairly competent mechanic and some basic maintenance work to start.

Good luck

-Joe

gijoecam,
Do you know how to tell when a gen 1 x goes into closed loop? My truck is running cold even after a new T-stat.

Just as an update....I don't hang out here spending all sorts of time searching for something. And when I posted a question I expected after a reasonable time ,some sort of response.

Thanks to the guys who did offer some help, to those of you who got pissy...get a life. :thumbdwn:

I did find what the problem was, it was fuel system contamination. In short the fuel tanks were messed up from the truck spending so much of it's life sitting inactive. A really good fuel tank cleaning and a couple of fuel filters later along with new spark plugs and the little Ranger runs great. :thumbsup:

I believe you called this forum useless as the first person who got "pissy"
Anything else was in defense of a good forum

In anycase....
:thumbsup: on problem solved.

Back