• Register Today It's free!

Cold start issue

devil driver

Reaction score
City, State
fieldon il
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I have a 96 ex with the 5.0 engine. On cool mornings when I start it, it will run for several seconds and then sputter and die. I then can turn the key to off, then restart and it will run fine. On warm mornings I can start and it will run fine. This morning it is colder out and it took 5 tries before it would start and run. So the colder it is the worse it gets. I have replaced the intake air temp sensor, and the tps but those did not help. The only code that comes up is 0446, which I dont believe would cause the problem. If I start it and try to drive, it will give me problems until I shut it off and restart, then it runs great. Also it is worse under load, like going up hill. Let me know what you all might think the problem is. Thanks

sounds like it might be a bad coolant temp sensor. maybe the computer isn't getting the info it needs to increase the injector pulse width (similar to a choke on a carbureted engine).

So I rented a fuel pressure tester from Autozone and this is what I have. When I turn the key on I got 3 psi, so I cycled the key 5 times and it got up to 20psi. I then started it and it got up to 30psi at idle, which is low but will run the engine with no problem. I think I need a new pump.

Back