Cold start issues, warm idle starting to give problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold start issues, warm idle starting to give problems

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Having some cold start, stall out in drive issues, in the morning. I cleaned the MAF and IAC and it was fine for about a week.

I unplugged each (one at a time) and went for a test drive. without the IAC it would fire up then immediately stall (in park). without the MAF it drove like crap, hard shifts, surging.

I cleaned them again. Added can of seafoam to a full tank.

No issues for 2 weeks.

The other day, after a long drive, I exited the freeway and coming to stop at the bottom of the ramp it started surging. i gave it gas and didnt stall, but i limped it about a mile to my destination. First time it's given me a problem on warm idle.

The next morning, cold start, stalled immediately once put into drive. Warmed it up in park, and it drove fine (around the block only test drive).

No CEL.

Thoughts?

Check the engine coolant temp sensor, make sure it's within spec both hot and cold.

Wanted to let you know it was the MAF. Replaced it and idles and drives great.

I always thought the MAF would through a code when it dies, but in my case it just ran like like hell (if it ran at all).

Back