cold starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold starting

Reaction score
City, State
aubrey texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
when i first start it up in the mornings it runs very rough,alot of sputter coming from the tailpiper and very rough idle.after 5 mins of idle it straigths up,but still has very rough idle.i check the computer and no codes.it isnt losing gas milage.the fuel pressurer is at 30 psi.my explorer has 195000 and alot of factory parts,like regulator,iac,mass air flow,etc.any ideas would help ty.also i took it the dealership and the mechaic couldnt find anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAC is a common problem for a rough idle. Fuel pressure seems a little low, but did you check pressure after you turned the engine off to make sure the pressure drops off slowly (if at all).

-Drew

the same things is going on with mine its a 99' with 127xxx. no one can find anything i plan on replacing the iac and maf soon so hopefully that takes care of it. i was getting codes that bank 1 & 2 were running lean. so deffinetly need some help here

found the promblem

my husband pull the spark plugs out and found two of them had a broken insulator.he replace them with same plugs and its runs great.we just spent 200.00 dollar on a iac and mass air flow senor.to find out it was spark plugs.hrumph.they only had 10,000 miles on them.he is going to find out how long these last.

julianmonsta said:
the same things is going on with mine its a 99' with 127xxx. no one can find anything i plan on replacing the iac and maf soon so hopefully that takes care of it. i was getting codes that bank 1 & 2 were running lean. so deffinetly need some help here
that sounds like a blown head gasket, first thing i would do before throwing parts at it is do a compression test, should be around 140, anything under 90 is bad!

its not overheating,and he did headgasket test and it came fine,it was running hot but it got fix when he replace the heater core

Check out that vacuum tree by the brake booster. It likes o lose a plug on the back--hard to see and screws up the idle.

Back