• Register Today It's free!

Cold Temp Gauge Reading

Joe Bagel10748

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
The temp gauge on the dash of my 95 XLT 5 speed never rises more than a tiny bit, except when the engine is really working hard (up a mountain). In cold weather, the heater air in the car is warm, but not hot. Been like this for years, but getting worse.

Someone suggested that all I need to do is replace the radiator cap with the temp sensor inside. True? Is the engine potentially not being cooled properly and I am not aware of it due to a faulty sensor? Thanks for good advice.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think the radiator cap had any sensors in it. Sounds to me more like a thermostat that is either stuck open or rated at too low of a temperature.

The temp gauge on the dash of my 95 XLT 5 speed never rises more than a tiny bit, except when the engine is really working hard (up a mountain). In cold weather, the heater air in the car is warm, but not hot. Been like this for years, but getting worse.

Someone suggested that all I need to do is replace the radiator cap with the temp sensor inside. True? Is the engine potentially not being cooled properly and I am not aware of it due to a faulty sensor? Thanks for good advice.

The gauge sensor is a one wire screw in above your thermostat. It is a common failure item on these engines and real cheap to replace. While you are at it you should replace the thermostat too.

Back