need help tranny temp gauge reading 280 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help tranny temp gauge reading 280

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
I just installed a tranny temp sensor and gauge on my 94.I put the sensor in a port on the drivers side of the tranny.And wired everything else up once i turned the key on to check it the temp was allready showing 190 degrees (the truck hasnt even started yet)so i checked all the wires and even tried a couple of different grounds and its all the same.So i figured that i would drive it around to see if it would change and it did change it went up to 280 and stayed thier (and if my tranny was at 280 you and i know that it would be burned up :fire: ).so im looking for some help from you guys and gals thanks .

offhand, either the sensor is bad, or the gauge is out of calibration. Do you know if the gauge is a resistance measuring gauge? If so you can measure the resistance of the sensor and maybe figure out which one is bad.

got it figured out.

Glacier991 said:
offhand, either the sensor is bad, or the gauge is out of calibration. Do you know if the gauge is a resistance measuring gauge? If so you can measure the resistance of the sensor and maybe figure out which one is bad.

:burnout: Thanks for the info.Instead of messing around to figure out i just went and got a return and got a new setup.It works fine just got done wheeling and tested it to the max.Looks like i gotta figure something out to keep the tranny a little cooler.thanks for the help...

280 is too hot! hahaha
At 250 thats when you pull over.
Mine runs at 160 but has spiked to 210 when its really hot out and stop and go...
I added a 10" fan to the tranny cooler, I am wiring it up tonight to come on at 180, we shall see if that helps.
My water temp never gets over 210 and i get nervous when the tranny hits 200, even though I have been told ATF is good to 250 by my tranny builder..

Back