cold weather rpm flutter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold weather rpm flutter

nidus

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi, I have a 2002 ford explorer. In the summer it runs fine...in cold weather It wants to stall. The problem happens when I take the kids to the bus stop in the morning. The vehicle starts fine and drives fine. When I come to the bus stop in the first five minutes of driving and shift into park for a minute then when I shift back into drive the idle will drop down to about five hundred rpms and just about stall. The idle then bounces back up and down a couple of times and then everything is fine. This only happens first thing in the morning. Any ideas? Thanks

with an '02 you have something called an IAC, or idle air controller, which maintains RPM at a minimum level, loosely related to a 'choke'. Might be dirty, or sticking. Other than that TPS's sensor, air temp sensor. . . those would be my first guesses.

01 sport trac RPM up and down

I have a 2001 explorer sport trac , the RPM from 500 to 2500 up and down, clean it with liquid to clean auto parts . Fix it by cleaning the sensor of the air valve are only 2 screws, remove the plastic that is on top of the engine,part is in the center top of the engine, save me $ 120 for part + labor.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/1/article/Ford_Explorer_IAC_Fix.html

Back