collapsed upper hose / thermostat housing replaced | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

collapsed upper hose / thermostat housing replaced

Stick_man

Reaction score
City, State
NYC, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer V6 SOHC
my upper radiator hose collapsed after a 30 mile test drive after a new thermostat house was installed.

the old thermostat house i suspect had broken pieces that fell into the water pump. it was brittle and had to get some needle nose pliers to get some to the lower niple pieces out. i suspect i didn't get them all.

no overheating. i saw smoke i suspected was old coolant burning off. the hose is hot to the touch and maybe some coolant goes through

is it blocked or just air in the system?:scratch:

hose clamp from thermostat housing not properly adjusted. either that or all the gunk on the radiator cap. now i got too much water in my rad tho since i flushed thinking it was something else and, had very little coolant on hand :mad:

Not a problem, at least for California where it never freezes. I don't even bother measuring when I flush a radiator. I just do a few cycles of filling/draining with tap water, then a few cycles of the same with distilled, and at the end I just drain the rad and refill with coolant. Since the block still has a lot of liquid in it after the rad is drained, I figure that gives me about 60/40 of one or the other. :)

If I were you I'd just drain out the rad and refill it with coolant concentrate.

Back