Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

Hi everyone,
My Exp Ltd 2013 VIN 1FM5K8F85DGA64068 has a Recall #13S04 since May, 30th, 2013 while it's exported to United Arab Emirates on 10/30/2012. can anybody help and advise what should I do?
can ford arrange to fix it through the dealer in Dubai "Al Tayer Motors"? thanks for quck help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called my dealership today to make an appointment for the replacement - he said they had to order the part and it would take up to two weeks to get in...

Hi suvguy,

Shoot me a PM with your details and I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, be sure to include your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

So it look like I need a 4th trip to a service station for repairs due to fuel issues. I had no problems with my 2013 Sport leading up to the recall. Once it was replaced, the fuel smell issues began. My second trip was after smelling fuel and finally getting a check engine light. Report states: "Performed evap test and vapor management valve failed. Replaced valve and cleared codes. Recked EEC Pass."

After that I didn't smell the gas as much but it was still there. Then got a "check fuel fill inlet" message and a check engine light. After that there was a long report that basically stated that they found a blockage at fuel vapor tube assy. "Blow out with compressed air to clean out lines, reinstall and reinstall fuel tank. Retest system, now passes evap test. Clear codes perform self test, passes ok" Two weeks later, barely driven, and suddenly the fual smell is worse than ever.

I really don't want to bring it back to the same service center because I don't think they know what they're doing. Is there any chance that Ford would reemburse me if I brought it to my own mechanic?

So it look like I need a 4th trip to a service station for repairs due to fuel issues. I had no problems with my 2013 Sport leading up to the recall. Once it was replaced, the fuel smell issues began. My second trip was after smelling fuel and finally getting a check engine light. Report states: "Performed evap test and vapor management valve failed. Replaced valve and cleared codes. Recked EEC Pass."

After that I didn't smell the gas as much but it was still there. Then got a "check fuel fill inlet" message and a check engine light. After that there was a long report that basically stated that they found a blockage at fuel vapor tube assy. "Blow out with compressed air to clean out lines, reinstall and reinstall fuel tank. Retest system, now passes evap test. Clear codes perform self test, passes ok" Two weeks later, barely driven, and suddenly the fual smell is worse than ever.

I really don't want to bring it back to the same service center because I don't think they know what they're doing. Is there any chance that Ford would reemburse me if I brought it to my own mechanic?
I would say there's not a chance in the world that will happen. You can go to another Ford dealer if that is how you feel about your current one.

Peter

I had the fuel module recall done on my 2013 XLT about 5 weeks ago. Before the recall, I had no fuel leaks and never noticed any fuel or gas odors from the vehicle.

SINCE the recall work was done, my Explorer has been back to the dealership twice, for a subtle gas odor emanating (I think) from the right rear wheel well area (probably behind it). The first time it went back, they said whoever did the recall work got a little sloppy, and they cleaned up what they thought was residual spillage from when they did the work. They never smelled anything, but cleaned the stains. The odor came back a couple days later. It's very subtle, but if you leave the car in my enclosed garage overnight, the garage wrieks of gas in the morning (to make sure it was the car, I did make sure that when the car is parked outside overnight, the garage does not smell). And there is never any leak, just the smell ... sometimes, usually after the car has been sitting. I notice it is stronger when the tank is more full.

My guess is when they did the recall work, something got fouled up with the vapor recovery mechanism.

Has anyone had a similar experience, AFTER their recall was done? Thanks.

I had the fuel module recall done on my 2013 XLT about 5 weeks ago. Before the recall, I had no fuel leaks and never noticed any fuel or gas odors from the vehicle.

SINCE the recall work was done, my Explorer has been back to the dealership twice, for a subtle gas odor emanating (I think) from the right rear wheel well area (probably behind it). The first time it went back, they said whoever did the recall work got a little sloppy, and they cleaned up what they thought was residual spillage from when they did the work. They never smelled anything, but cleaned the stains. The odor came back a couple days later. It's very subtle, but if you leave the car in my enclosed garage overnight, the garage wrieks of gas in the morning (to make sure it was the car, I did make sure that when the car is parked outside overnight, the garage does not smell). And there is never any leak, just the smell ... sometimes, usually after the car has been sitting. I notice it is stronger when the tank is more full.

My guess is when they did the recall work, something got fouled up with the vapor recovery mechanism.

Nope all good. Time to take it back as they messed something up.

Read my post a few up from yours. Exact same situation. It's in a different Ford service station today. Hopefully they figure it out. Unfortunately, this morning when I brought it in, there wasn't a fuel smell. They almost didn't take it because they said Ford wouldn't reimburse them if an error was made at the last place. I agreed to pay for them to fix it. Just don't care...want it fixed.

eta: Just heard back. Keeping it overnight so the foreman can take a look at it.

SINCE the recall work was done, my Explorer has been back to the dealership twice, for a subtle gas odor emanating (I think) from the right rear wheel well area (probably behind it)...

Read my post a few up from yours. Exact same situation. It's in a different Ford service station today. Hopefully they figure it out. Unfortunately, this morning when I brought it in, there wasn't a fuel smell...

eta: Just heard back. Keeping it overnight so the foreman can take a look at it.

BigPapisExplorer and JamesL13,

Let me lend a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

Ashley - Thanks for offering to Help.

I had a 3rd appointment (post-recall fix) yesterday, and they FINALLY found and fixed the problem. I politely demanded to speak to the shop foreman, and he said they'd "drop" the fuel tank again if they had to.

They found fuel seeping at the O-ring near the Fuel pump, and replaced the O-ring. They thought it got damaged or warped during the prior recall work, as it wasn't fitting snug into whatever groove it was supposed to be in. They were apologetic for missing it (twice).

Ashley - Thanks for offering to Help.

I had a 3rd appointment (post-recall fix) yesterday, and they FINALLY found and fixed the problem. I politely demanded to speak to the shop foreman, and he said they'd "drop" the fuel tank again if they had to.

They found fuel seeping at the O-ring near the Fuel pump, and replaced the O-ring. They thought it got damaged or warped during the prior recall work, as it wasn't fitting snug into whatever groove it was supposed to be in. They were apologetic for missing it (twice).

Well, I gotta thank you for reporting your results. My service center contacted me and asked a bunch of questions after having the car for a day. They wanted to know how long I drove after I smelled the gas, if the car was running rough, etc. Once they were done, I mentioned that someone else had the exact same issue and it was found to be an O-ring problem. An hour later they called me back and said they found the problem.

It seems that the first recall repair wasn't installed correctly (something about needing a specific tool or bolt) The fuel pump module was loose. They cleaned out the debris from the o-ring and tightened it up. It seems like this was clearly the problem.

I had to pay nearly $500 for the repair and I'm hoping to get that back somehow. I'm just happy that it seems to be fixed. Hopefully.

Well, I gotta thank you for reporting your results. My service center contacted me and asked a bunch of questions after having the car for a day. They wanted to know how long I drove after I smelled the gas, if the car was running rough, etc. Once they were done, I mentioned that someone else had the exact same issue and it was found to be an O-ring problem. An hour later they called me back and said they found the problem.

It seems that the first recall repair wasn't installed correctly (something about needing a specific tool or bolt) The fuel pump module was loose. They cleaned out the debris from the o-ring and tightened it up. It seems like this was clearly the problem.

I had to pay nearly $500 for the repair and I'm hoping to get that back somehow. I'm just happy that it seems to be fixed. Hopefully.
Why did you have to pay anything? This is a Ford recall and repairs were done by Ford technicians was it not?

Peter

Why did you have to pay anything? This is a Ford recall and repairs were done by Ford technicians was it not?

Peter

It wasn't the same service center that did the original work. They actually didn't want to look at the car since someone else did the work. If it was found that the other service center screwed up, it seemed like Ford wouldn't reimburse them for the other places error. I didn't care, I just wanted it done.

Now I'll look to get my money back from Ford.

eta: I agreed to pay them for fixing it before they looked at it. If it turns out I have to, so be it. Although I won't be happy about it.

It wasn't the same service center that did the original work. They actually didn't want to look at the car since someone else did the work. If it was found that the other service center screwed up, it seemed like Ford wouldn't reimburse them for the other places error. I didn't care, I just wanted it done.

Now I'll look to get my money back from Ford.

eta: I agreed to pay them for fixing it before they looked at it. If it turns out I have to, so be it. Although I won't be happy about it.
I understand but still think that Ford should cover the cost. Perhaps you should send a PM to the Ford rep on this forum, Crystal, (FordService) and see if this is something she can help with.
You can use this link if you wish; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

Good luck.

Peter

I understand but still think that Ford should cover the cost. Perhaps you should send a PM to the Ford rep on this forum, Crystal, (FordService) and see if this is something she can help with.
You can use this link if you wish; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

Good luck.

Peter

I agree and have already been in touch with Ashley (FordService) and she has set up a case for me already. I'm expecting a call from a rep next week. I can't imagine that Ford won't cover this in the end.

A few days after calling my Ford dealer (quoted below) I get this notice that I find (considering I had to prompt them) insulting:

72a7dccb-8354-4cd5-af15-53c1cdf61360_zps1ffe12ac.jpg

And to make it worse, my wife goes in with the expectation of getting the oil changed and asks about the warranty repair.

Service guy (not Jerry, wife says) was rude and said the part is on backorder, they don't have it. (She had me call the first time, and handed me the above notice herself). Admittedly, she didn't have an appointment, but the guy said they didn't have the parts, not "Can I schedule you one?"

No parts on a fuel-related repair after sending me a notice that says "You have * NOT taken steps with us?"

Umm, so the initial inspection, 2 months of waiting, and a follow up call is me not taking steps on this?! While it was being inspected for the fuel safety issue, I even had them install running boards on it.

What would they consider acceptable? They didn't stock the parts, I suppose I could have left the family vehicle there for the intervening MONTHS while they tried to get them.

What's more, the wife has said Jiffy Lube will get this truck in the future. (and those guys stink...)

Funny thing is my family buys several work vehicles a year from there.

[/rant]

I went in for the inspection about 2 months ago, and have heard nothing from my Ford dealer.

Called them today and they say the parts haven't come in yet.

We aren't smelling fuel so the issue isn't pressing.

BTW, haven't read the whole thread, will do that tonight when I have time.

A few days after calling my Ford dealer I get this notice that I find (considering I had to prompt them) insulting:

And to make it worse, my wife goes in with the expectation of getting the oil changed and asks about the warranty repair.

Service guy (not Jerry, wife says) was rude and said the part is on backorder, they don't have it. (She had me call the first time, and handed me the above notice herself). Admittedly, she didn't have an appointment, but the guy said they didn't have the parts, not "Can I schedule you one?"

No parts on a fuel-related repair after sending me a notice that says "You have * NOT taken steps with us?"

Umm, so the initial inspection, 2 months of waiting, and a follow up call is me not taking steps on this?! While it was being inspected for the fuel safety issue, I even had them install running boards on it.

What would they consider acceptable? They didn't stock the parts, I suppose I could have left the family vehicle there for the intervening MONTHS while they tried to get them.

What's more, the wife has said Jiffy Lube will get this truck in the future. (and those guys stink...)

Funny thing is my family buys several work vehicles a year from there.

[/rant]
I have posted several times over the past few years that communications isn't exactly Ford's strong point. As for the service guy being rude, there is no excuse for that. I can understand that parts are not always in stock. In some cases I think they are but are being kept for those that show up with an actual leak. For others, parts are ordered when they contact the dealership. Looks like a few people dropped the ball here.
You can always contact the Ford reps on here (FordService) and send Crystal or Ashley a PM to try and get this looked after.
Good luck.

Peter

Lincoln 2013 MKS

two weeks ago, a MKS caught on fire while the couple waited for their food at mcdonalds drive thru. I also own 2013 MKS. I was not having any trouble, but was talked into having my module replaced. Now after a week with the new module, the gas fumes are overwhelming in my garage.

I bought my 2013 Explorer about a month ago..After driving it a few weeks I noticed a few things (Wind-shield Washer Fluid Motor burnt out, And I had never used the wipers...and the rear back-up sensors had been installed incorrectly from the factory)

I live in North Dakota, but purchased my Explorer CPO in San Antonio, where I am at for some Schooling. My car went in a week ago to get the aforementioned stuff fixed, and when I called end of last week to see why it wasn't ready they said that there was a recall for the Fuel Module and that they emergency ordered the part. Well it's been a week and still no part.

What I don't understand is I bought it CPO, it had to go through all those checks. If there was a recall, why wasn't it fixed BEFORE I purchased my vehicle. I leave here in about 20 days to go back to North Dakota, and the dealer keeps telling me, we are still awaiting the part.

Doesn't make sense, Now they did give me a 2014 focus to drive..but I bought a CPO Explorer recently, and I can't drive it..kinda makes me mad.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2013 Explorer about a month ago..After driving it a few weeks I noticed a few things (Wind-shield Washer Fluid Motor burnt out, And I had never used the wipers...and the rear back-up sensors had been installed incorrectly from the factory)

I live in North Dakota, but purchased my Explorer CPO in San Antonio, where I am at for some Schooling. My car went in a week ago to get the aforementioned stuff fixed, and when I called end of last week to see why it wasn't ready they said that there was a recall for the Fuel Module and that they emergency ordered the part. Well it's been a week and still no part.

What I don't understand is I bought it CPO, it had to go through all those checks. If there was a recall, why wasn't it fixed BEFORE I purchased my vehicle. I leave here in about 20 days to go back to North Dakota, and the dealer keeps telling me, we are still awaiting the part.

Doesn't make sense, Now they did give me a 2014 focus to drive..but I bought a CPO Explorer recently, and I can't drive it..kinda makes me mad.:(
I take it that there was no fuel leaking. If that is the case, there should be nothing to prevent you from driving back to N. Dakota and getting it fixed there if the part hasn't arrived.

Peter

Back