Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

I take it that there was no fuel leaking. If that is the case, there should be nothing to prevent you from driving back to N. Dakota and getting it fixed there if the part hasn't arrived.

Peter

Peter,
Not that I noticed. I didn't notice any smells or anything. The Service guy told me that 2 out of 10 they see show signs of leaking and he said mine showed signs. Said they didn't want me out driving it and something bad happen.

My wife is already upset that it's already been in the shop for repairs, I don't think she'd like it for me to go up there and put it in the shop AGAIN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So we had a similiar issue with a interceptor utility we purchased, it was "not in the system" till the purchase was made - drove it for a day after we picked it up and it stunk of fuel, called the dealer and they said it was not in the system so the recall was not done..

Then it was a week to get parts and we had no vehicle to drive.. sadly that was probably not handled very well by Ford or the responsible dealer.. but int he end it got replaced and has had no issues since.

Hi again, Peter. I'm using your post to start mine on the ongoing experience I'm having with Ford.

Crystal has gotten me in touch with Ashley from Ford who I've just gotten off the phone with. (DC regional service person; located in Florida.)

She tried a half-dozen times to get me back to the selling Ford dealer, and I explained as many times that my wife doesn't want to deal with them any further.

I was trying to get Jerry's Ford (Annandale, VA) to do the warranty repair, but Ashley (several times) explained that I'd have to go through the same procedure with them as I'd done at the selling dealer. (Bought a '92 Fox from them back in the day)

So I'm starting over on this safety issue. Good thing it's not leaking that I'm aware of.

She agreed, and again asked that 'Wouldn't it be better to just get it over with' and go to the selling dealer (who now say they have the parts.) To their credit, the service manager from there has called me himself twice.

She said they prefer that the selling dealer do any repairs, but it was my decision as a customer to go wherever I was most comfortable. She went on to say that since I had a relationship with Jerry's that'd be OK. I replied that I (in fact) didn't have one with Jerry's, but I had a bad one with the selling dealer. I'm going with someone I know nothing about to avoid a dealer I know only too well.

Oh, and I was right; I did get another 'YOU haven't done your part' letter. This one's the same, but it's orange, not yellow. Variety is good, I suppose.

My experience so far...

Mike

BTW, calling Jerry's Ford today.

I have posted several times over the past few years that communications isn't exactly Ford's strong point. As for the service guy being rude, there is no excuse for that. I can understand that parts are not always in stock. In some cases I think they are but are being kept for those that show up with an actual leak. For others, parts are ordered when they contact the dealership. Looks like a few people dropped the ball here.
You can always contact the Ford reps on here (FordService) and send Crystal or Ashley a PM to try and get this looked after.
Good luck.

Peter

2013 Fuel Delivery module

I have been working to get this thing fixed along wit the door code strip which has been inop since i picked it up.... key fob buttons intermittent, otherwise a good car.....

so first i got to the dealer with the card no parts but should be in soon says the dealer..... but why dont you go to the dealer you bought it from? its 200 miles away and i moved from there to here..... Miami

letter comes and i bring the car and the letter ,,,, part is on back order,,,, order part two weeks ago.... still no part and will be another 3 weeks.....

case #3814645 ....... in the mean time i have been smelling fuel but no leaks when filling so could be just the gas station smells.....

same dealer
visit 1, 3000 miles check engine light..... 6hrs later dealer cannot find anything wrong but check engine light is still on...... did he actually check anything ? reset ecm

visit 2, needs oil change and tires rotated 9000 miles the door code does not work and there is a sync update, service writer is told that im going on vacation to middle of nowhere georgia and is why its here for tires and oil.....

does the tires & oil, part is not available for door code and will order,,,, oh and i did the update on the sync,,,,, get in the car and NO NAV,,,,,, oh we didnt have the A4 chip but we will have it in a week or so......

I had to actually buy the chip on the road to use the NAV ......

im not sure but 3rd strike and im going to another dealer,,,,,,, im a corvette guy so maybe the next SUV is a GM.......

RN
Miami

I have been working to get this thing fixed along wit the door code strip which has been inop since i picked it up.... key fob buttons intermittent, otherwise a good car.....

so first i got to the dealer with the card no parts but should be in soon says the dealer..... but why dont you go to the dealer you bought it from? its 200 miles away and i moved from there to here..... Miami

letter comes and i bring the car and the letter ,,,, part is on back order,,,, order part two weeks ago.... still no part and will be another 3 weeks.....

case #3814645 ....... in the mean time i have been smelling fuel but no leaks when filling so could be just the gas station smells.....

same dealer
visit 1, 3000 miles check engine light..... 6hrs later dealer cannot find anything wrong but check engine light is still on...... did he actually check anything ? reset ecm

visit 2, needs oil change and tires rotated 9000 miles the door code does not work and there is a sync update, service writer is told that im going on vacation to middle of nowhere georgia and is why its here for tires and oil.....

does the tires & oil, part is not available for door code and will order,,,, oh and i did the update on the sync,,,,, get in the car and NO NAV,,,,,, oh we didnt have the A4 chip but we will have it in a week or so......

I had to actually buy the chip on the road to use the NAV ......

im not sure but 3rd strike and im going to another dealer,,,,,,, im a corvette guy so maybe the next SUV is a GM.......

RN
Miami
You have a 2013 Explorer but you don't say which model. We can't tell if you have keyed or keyless entry. It would be helpful if updated your profile with the year and model of Explorer. All your profile shows is '1999'.

If you only smell gas when filling the tank perhaps you are over filling or it is just the fumes. If you don't smell it anywhere else, that is a good sign.

If you required the A4 navigation card that meant that you were 2 updates behind. The A4 card was required to do version 3.5.1. The latest update is 3.6.2. Do you know which update was done? If not, you can go to your SYNC account and use the 'Status Checker Tool' to find out.

Peter

I took my 2014 Explore Sport to the shop 2 weeks after taking possession for exhaust fumes coming through the A/C vents, - I FOUND the recall for the extractor vents and the exhaust coming through so they replaced them. Great. Now that the exhaust smell has disappeared and the car is actually smelling like a new car again, I get the gas smell every now and then... I know from reading these forum's its likely this problem. I took it to a different for dealer to have them check the fuel pump (delivery module whatever)

The service rep says unless they can recreate the smell they won't drop the tank and look at the parts for the 2013 recall because it "does not apply" to my year.

She said they won't do the work for free.... Awesome. So if the technician (who has spent x amount of years inhaling these type of fumes and is basically immune to them now) can't recreate the smell they will likely send me home with no help.

I told her the gas smell comes in randomly, this morning when i brought it in i didn't smell it. I don't see leaks anywhere but I'm not stupid, I know smelling gas inside the car is not normal.

I have less than 1k kms on it.

I took my 2014 Explore Sport to the shop 2 weeks after taking possession for exhaust fumes coming through the A/C vents, - I FOUND the recall for the extractor vents and the exhaust coming through so they replaced them. Great. Now that the exhaust smell has disappeared and the car is actually smelling like a new car again, I get the gas smell every now and then... I know from reading these forum's its likely this problem. I took it to a different for dealer to have them check the fuel pump (delivery module whatever)

The service rep says unless they can recreate the smell they won't drop the tank and look at the parts for the 2013 recall because it "does not apply" to my year.

She said they won't do the work for free.... Awesome. So if the technician (who has spent x amount of years inhaling these type of fumes and is basically immune to them now) can't recreate the smell they will likely send me home with no help.

I told her the gas smell comes in randomly, this morning when i brought it in i didn't smell it. I don't see leaks anywhere but I'm not stupid, I know smelling gas inside the car is not new.

Welcome to the Forum MMCS.:wavey:
Random issues are always the hardest to diagnose. I assume you know the difference between fuel and exhaust fumes. There is a very long thread on exhaust fumes but I don't think there have been any 2014 model complaints yet although I haven't gone back to check.

Peter

I told her the gas smell comes in randomly, this morning when i brought it in i didn't smell it. I don't see leaks anywhere but I'm not stupid, I know smelling gas inside the car is not normal.

Glad you didn't pass out driving around smelling that new car exhaust fume smell.

Hi Peter,

Correct, I know the difference

One issue was resolved that was the exhaust - done deal.

The car has a noticeable gas smell when you approach it as well - it stays outside on the driveway.

I haven't seen any 2014 complaints yet, but I do notice the gas smell and I just want them to look at it to make sure its OK - which they said they wouldn't unless then can smell it.

A good shop will make the customer happy - especially with the past issues on the previous model years.....

If they won't do it I'm more than willing to take it to my buddy's Toyota dealer and pay them to look into it. At least having my buddy look at it I know he will go the extra mile to see if something is wrong, for my own peace of mind at least

Glad you didn't pass out driving around smelling that new car exhaust fume smell.

Lol , When i brought it in the first time the service rep went to turn the car on and check for the smell...... as soon as he opened the door his reactions was literally "oh my god thats bad"

I told him its great driving to work in January with the windows cracked open

Regardless, the exhaust fume problem is gone

Lol , When i brought it in the first time the service rep went to turn the car on and check for the smell...... as soon as he opened the door his reactions was literally "oh my god thats bad"

I told him its great driving to work in January with the windows cracked open

Regardless, the exhaust fume problem is gone

Glad to hear you can keep the heat in

sorry about the missing info,,,, XLT,,, keyless entry but not pushbutton start

it obviously has a nav ... the nav was fine when I brought it in ,,,,I knew which update it needed and asked him NOT to do it if he didn't have the A4....

pretty simple request......

the point on the update was it COULD have been done when I got back a week later , however the service writer jerk was too interested in get his dealership their piece of the warrantee service to be concerned with my inconvenience.

so like I said its a 2013 w mft & nav, seems that option package requires keyless but maybe im wrong....

sorry my profile still has my 1999 on my profile,,,, BTW it Doesn't have MFT and NAV...

ill get to the profile update ASAP

RN

Ok, in the realm of (nearly) complete transparency, we went to the aforereferenced dealer (not the one I wanted) and got the recall taken care of.

The process was completely seamless, and everything went fine. The service people were on their game, I thought.

Had a nice lunch with my wife as well.

...At any rate, I dropped the car off to this new dealer this morning, and will see how quickly they can get the recall part.

Keep us posted, OzzieMike; if you have any questions or concerns, I'm always just a few clicks away. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just a follow up to my earlier post...

I dropped the Explorer off at the new dealer yesterday morning at 7am. I received a call at 1:30 to let me know that, yes, my fuel module was part of the recall, and that they were running out to the Ford warehouse (not exactly sure what this is?) as they have the parts in stock.

At 4pm I got another call to let me know the work had been completed. Since it was done so quickly, I had them change the oil and rotate the tires.

LOL....I'm debating whether to call my original dealer's service department to let them know they can cancel the part order...or to wait and see how long it takes them to get the part and call me.

Just a follow up to my earlier post...

I dropped the Explorer off at the new dealer yesterday morning at 7am. I received a call at 1:30 to let me know that, yes, my fuel module was part of the recall, and that they were running out to the Ford warehouse (not exactly sure what this is?) as they have the parts in stock.

At 4pm I got another call to let me know the work had been completed. Since it was done so quickly, I had them change the oil and rotate the tires.

LOL....I'm debating whether to call my original dealer's service department to let them know they can cancel the part order...or to wait and see how long it takes them to get the part and call me.
If it was me, I would call them up and advise them that I have found a new dealership to work with. How can you ask for better service than what you received there?

Peter

Peterk9,

I will probably write the dealership a letter to let them know their missteps cost them my business (and I've bought all my cars...and my kids cars...at this same dealership for the last 10 years!). And this is only a service department misstep....their sales department assumed, I guess, that they could get any price they wanted from me, as I was such a loyal customer. They were $1000 higher than a competing dealership, so they've lost the sales business as well.

Recall notice 13s14 locking steering

Hello Fellow Owners,

I recently came across a FORD RECALL notice from reading this automotive blog site:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/21/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

I live in the Philippines so I don't get press releases like you guys do in the US.

Has anyone received a letter regarding this yet?

My EX's built date is 05/2012 and it is a completely built unit from the US.

This sounds scary!

This only pertains to vehicles that had their steering gear replaced after September 1st, 2013. If your vehicle has not had the steering gear replaced or it was replaced before September 1st, 2013, this does not apply to you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORD Philippines sent me a letter regarding this RECALL and my dealership took care of it right away. FORD Philippines didn't take any chances whether or not a unit is affected. They just replaced every unit sold here to be sure. :)

Back