common 5r55w shifting characteristics? please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

common 5r55w shifting characteristics? please help!

TheCommander83

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that has a 5r55w. Im having a few problems i was hoping i could get some help with.

I have had this car for about 3 years now and i noticed 2 things while driving it.

#1) During slower speeds, sometimes a loud metal clanking sound would emit from the bottom of the car. It sounds like your running over a loose manhole cover or something. It always happens during a time of steady acceleration. I know its not the gears shifting hard as its never once happened when the transmission is shifting. It always happens when im at a steady pace in 2nd or 3rd gear. There is never any feeling inside the car when this happens. No jolts, bumps, or anything like that. Just a loud sound and thats about it.

#2)Also during slow to moderate speeds the transmission would sometimes feel like it was slipping? thats best way i can describe it. I would be driving , and between a shift the transmission would just drop out for a split second. It was a very smooth motion though, the engine doesn't rev, and when the gears shift there is no clanking or jolt of acceleration. The best i could compare it to is stepping on the clutch of an automatic between gear shifts. Its a very smooth fluid motion. It doesnt happen all the time, but most commonly occurs when im driving 25mph or below.

Recently, at about 80,000 miles my transmission took a dump. I had the entire transmission replaced at the Ford dealership (or so i thought)

Upon driving the car again, im experiencing the same weird sounds and feelings again as described in #1 and #2 above. Are these common characteristics of this transmission? or did i just get ripped off and not get a new transmission, but just a replacement of whatever parts were bad??

Thanks in advance for any help.

The noise may be coming from the torque converter.

I'm guessing Ford didn't replace the converter when they changed the transmission.

The noise may be coming from the torque converter.

I'm guessing Ford didn't replace the converter when they changed the transmission.

Is this something i should worry about? If it goes out, is it something that is covered in my "new" transmissions warranty (3yr 100,000 mile), or is this some B.S. loophole they will worm out of?

Is this something i should worry about? If it goes out, is it something that is covered in my "new" transmissions warranty (3yr 100,000 mile), or is this some B.S. loophole they will worm out of?
i would go in asap and ask them if they did. have them pull the paper work on it. and if not hopefully they are repetable guys and may add it in to the warranty or discount chyangeing it then.

Back