• Register Today It's free!

Compass Not Working...

CobraGT40

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLT 4x4
I recently bought an '02 Explorer and noticed that the compass only seems to indicate N or N/E no matter which direction I'm facing. It's not really a big deal, but if it's a simple fix I'd apreciate some input...

Thanks !

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently bought an '02 Explorer and noticed that the compass only seems to indicate N or N/E no matter which direction I'm facing. It's not really a big deal, but if it's a simple fix I'd apreciate some input...

Thanks !

Scott

Under your mirror is a little black box that hangs down that should have a plug going into it that is just a small clip to unhook it. Try unplugging it, then plugging it back in. See if it acts any differently. Mine needed to be recalibrated. If you have your owners manual, there is a page that talks about recalibrating it. I forgot how many times/ how long I had to hit the trip button, but once it goes into that mode you are supposed to drive around in a circle at like 2mph and wait for it to do the rest. Since I'm way to impaitent to do that, I just left it in that mode and kept driving. It eventually figured itself out, even with turning the truck on and off.

Like wheelin'explorer said, it might just need to be re-calibrated. The info is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

From my owner's manual:

ZoneAdjustment.jpg

Calibration.jpg

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

Hey, thanks guys ! I'll give this a shot this afternoon...

Thanks again !

Scott

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

Worked like a charm !

Thanks guys !

Scott

Just found this, and thanks to Rondo.

My compass box is hanging by the cable and no matter what I try I cannot get it to mount securely, any hints? it's in a tough spot to really see what is going on there.

thanks,

Rob

Back