• Register Today It's free!

Complete Pioneer Setup Questions

Rob2000XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
This is the system I am contemplating for my explorer. Do you guys see any complications or things that would not work well together. I am going for sound quality not spl.

1 Pioneer DEH-P7300 CD Receiver
2 Sets of Pioneer TS-A6865 3 way speakers
1 Pioneer GMX-354 35 X 4 Car Amplifier
1 Pioneer GMX-552 50 X 2 Car Amplifier
1 Pioneer TS-W304C 12” Componet Sub

Thanks for the input,
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the setup you picked out will work fine. you could feed the subwoofer a little more power, but it isn't necessary.
that's a really cool headunit that you picked out.
i think it will be a pretty good system. but if you want SQ, you're missing the midbass. you should get a good set of 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 components. then you'll get the midrange from the door speakers, midbass from the component woofers, highs from component tweeters, and sub bass from the subwoofer.

So will 5.25 fit in the factory opening without modification? Also how much bigger of an amp would you recommend. The sub is rated at 160 watts rms. That amp is rated at 150x1 rms. What would I need as far as wiring goes? Distribution blocks? Inline Fuses? A cap?
Thanks,
Rob

Pioneer subs aren't gonna give you good SQ. It'd be cool to have an all Pioneer system but you are really gonna lack in the sub bass section of your sound quality. I'd suggest an Image Dynamics IDQ. Pretty cheap and 150 watts RMS would power the 10" model fine. It would be underpowered but it would still sound really good.

Thanks for the input!

Not a Pioneer system, but...

I would suggest installing 5 1/4" seperates in the doors and rear locations if you are going to be installing some subs. Check out my pictures of the install that I did on my X.

http://freeweb.pdq.net/gbishop/explorer

Do you need an adapter plate for 5.25's? If so where can you purchase them?
Thanks,
Rob

why dont you get a more powerful amp for the interiors.. 50x4 or something.. unless thats a 35 x 4 rms amp, then i can see that.

Crutchfield has them for $10 or free with 5.25" speaker purchase.

You will need to either fabricate some of the panels out of ABS plastic or buy them from an install shop. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Crutchfield has them for sale also. Since I used to install for a living, I just made mine from some scrap pieces of ABS plastic. The 5 1/4" mids came with templates to make the measuring of the mid mounting hole simple. The tweeters that I have use a "shallow" mounting system and they fit perfectly behind the door and rear side panels. I have a photo of one of the rear panels on my site. Give it a look.

http://freeweb.pdq.net/gbishop/explorer/seperates1.jpg

Will the 5.25 have much better mids and highs than a 6x8?

I prefer the sound from round drivers over oval ones. With seperates, you actually have drivers dedicated to being mid-range speakers. With the coax speakers, the 6x8 or 5x7 oval driver is producing your bass and midrange. If you are going to be installing subs in your X, you won't need to double up on the low-end producing drivers. Think of it like home speakers. Do you like the sound of 2-way bookshelf speakers or the sub/satellite setups better? That is what I prefer. Just take the time to search around for what you consider to be the best sounding speaker setup within your budget. Plus, if you buy a set of speakers from Best Buy, Circuit City, or some place similar, you have a 30 day return/exchange policy with which to work. Those places will not refund the cost of installation, but they will swap out a set of speakers for another set if you don't like a particular set. Keep in mind that if you pay for installation of a set of 5x7's or 6x8's and want to upgrade to a set of seperates, there will be an additional charge. I used to install for Best Buy a while back and the difference is about $30 per set. A setup that I typically installed in X's was a set of 5x7's in the front and back running off the radio's power (barf!) and a single 8" or 10" mounted in the rear pocket. This setup was made better by adding a high power head unit and bypassing the factory amp (on premium sound systems) to power the newly installed speakers in the front and back while the sub got juice from the 2 channel amp that I would bridge on a 4ohm sub. I can explain how to hook up a 4 channel amp without having to run new speaker wire to the doors and rear panels if you would like. That is what I did in mine and it saved time and money...

Figure on adding maybe another $100 to $150 for that just for all the extras. You'll still need a multi amp install kit, and maybe RCAs if the kit doesn't have them. Maybe a tool or two, and then the box for your sub or the wood and associated stuff to make one.

Check previous posts for more info on similar questions.

Originally posted by gbishop
...I can explain how to hook up a 4 channel amp without having to run new speaker wire to the doors and rear panels if you would like. That is what I did in mine and it saved time and money...

If you are running 75+ watts RMS to each of your 4 speakers through the stock speaker wiring, those speakers are not getting the full 75 watts. The stock speaker wire is something like 20 guage. That is just a little on the low side for 75 watts. I would suggest 16 guage for 75 watts. It will increase the sound quality of your speakers and allow them to recieve all the power your amp has to offer. 75+ watts just can't travel very well down a 20-22 ga. wire.

Steve

Back