Complete Rear Differential Rebuild + Spartan Locker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete Rear Differential Rebuild + Spartan Locker

fastcougar

Reaction score
City, State
Kearnysville, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Mountaineer - V8 AWD
Part I: Unistalling the Spartan from the Salvage yard unit that wasn't compatible ... didn't find out until I went to plug in the sensor. Doh!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing the seals and cleaning up the outside of the case a little ... apparently I'm not the first guy in this differential.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vveiIO6OXSI[/YouTube]

Anyone else notice this with the Ford Racing ring & pinion?

Really nice series.

Well done.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Waiting on my Harbor Freight 12 Ton press (going to do the rear wheel bearing while I'm in there), so in the meantime, time to ream out the old pinion bearing to set preload in order to drop in the carrier and test backlash and gear pattern. This was yesterday. Today I'm doing the same to the outer pinion bearing (takes about 15-20 minutes with a die-grinder and head porting sanding spools). I will say that I'm very impressed with the Ring & Pinion from Yukon Gear ... SUPER nice quality.

Took a little while to do the "shim shuffle", but nailed it on the 4th attempt. 1st attempt had a huge backlash, 2nd nailed it but once I put the caps on and applied torque to the cap bolts, it got super tight. 3rd attempt was close but just a little too tight. Never did find my depth gauge holding fixture, but I did manage to find a method of isolating it on the case while taking a decent reading ... it will have to do.

Almost done ... just need to fit the locker now.

Locker install was a breeze ... unfortunately, I have an hour of footage of me talking to a dead mic ... FML! I'll have a detailed install video here shortly, just need to spend an hour or so dubbing what I splice together ... unfortunately, I can't do anything about the blurry segment of me measuring the tolerances of the drive gears gap.

Finally got around to doing the voiceover for the locker install ... it's really rather simple, but getting to it and putting it back in the truck ... that part is a PITA!

Back