• Register Today It's free!

Computer Reset! Help!

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
When installing a new intake how long should you leave the negative terminal disconnected so it can re-learn? I thought that if you broke the circut you lose everything but today after I installed an intake the engine has a dead spot if you try to open the throttle too quickly. When driving it's only getting up to about 15mph before it kinda poops out. Should I leave it disconnected overnight or is it a bigger problem (sensor malfunction?) Any input would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some say that it can be disconnected for as little as 20 minutes and it will reset the computer. I'd disconnect it over night just to be on the safe side. If you replaced the intake, go ahead and reset the computer; that may be your only problem. Try that first before blamng other components. You'll find much info on this topic on this site, just do a search.

I am not quite sure about your '96, but on my '91 to reset the computer goes something like this:
- install a jumper between the 2 test plugs that is located cab-side of the fuse block on the passenger's side of the engine compartment.
- turn ignition on and wait for the computer codes to start flashing on the dash.
- with ignition still in the on position, disconnect the jumper wire.
- the computer is now reset to the "learning" mode, so drive normal and the computer will adapt to your driving style.

This info was originally garnished from a Chilton's repair manual.

the best way i have found to reset my computer is to disconnect the neg post on battery and then turn on my headlights for 5 mins. Works every time for me. even tho lights don't come on, it drains all electric out of the computer. try it --it works

That sounds like a pretty quick trick.
I just got a bullet air meter and will try that after the installation.

Are you letting it idle for 5 minutes after reconnecting the cable to let the computer re-learn how to idle? Then drive off slowly and do a few start and stops. After a little bit of easy driving, be really hard on it for a little bit. That should teach it how to run. It will take a couple of days of normal driving to relearn completely.

Back