• Register Today It's free!

Computer Unit

Bruno

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Does anybody know how to install one of those system check units in an XLT? I bought one at a junk dealer (it came off of an Eddie Bower, same year same engine as mine) but I can't get it to work.. do I need to replace the entire harness? I thought maybe Ford used a universal harness in all Explorer models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anybody out there tried this before??? C'mon.. I can't imagine that I am the first one to ever try this!

You mean one of those computers that goes in the center counsel and displays fuel economy, etc? If so, you have to run the sensors for every thing that the computer displays. I believe someone tried to do it a long time ago, he worked on it for 10 hours and gave up because of all the work that is involved.

BIG COUNTRY did this mod. It took him 10 hours to study the factory shop manual, 2 hours to prep a whole lot of wires, then another 8-10 hours on splicing and making things to work. It's a long process and he did it. So if you have the patience, ask him how to do it. I wish you luck. :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about.. but I never thought it'd be that much trouble to install it. You mean I have to install sensors??? Won't just replacing the main harness suffice? And how do I get a hold of BIG COUNTRY, I'd really like to know how he did it.. wow! Sounds like an awful lot of work, but I want one of those units so bad.........

Just PM him. He should tell ya how to install it. Good luck!!

so, you all want to know how to install a message center...okay...hmmm....there is only one sensor you will need...it is the low washer fluid sensor...and also, check your harness off of your PCM...and check pin 43 (light blue/ pink) wire...that is your fuel flow wire that will go to the message center so you will know how many miles you have left in your tank and how many gallons you have used...if you dont have one....like i didnt, that is okay, just drill a hole in that hole cuz it is blocked...then just add a pin in there...get the pin first so you will know the right size to drill...also, i have talked to the ford company about those computers and he said in order for it to work...you must have the message center for your year of your truck...mine is a 98, i got my message center off a 95...half of it works...i know how many miles i got left, how many gallons i have and used...but it wont display the average/ instant and miles i have driven...also, for the lamp warning module has been deleted in the late production explorers in 98...of course, mine was made in sept. of that year...so it just acts like a jumper...but it reads on my console to check my lights...i have wired it all correctly, i checked it over at least 3 times....so i cant be sure enough untill i get a message center for my year...but if you want to know how to install one...i'll go ahead and let you know...i was just about to finish typing it up on here then some dumba$$ called me and it erased everything...so i got to wait like after midnight to post it so no one will call me during that...
also, i will advise you all to get the cd-rom for your year...its $4 off of ebay...it will show you everything in your truck...wire colors and locations!!!

i posted on how to install the message center under general explorations....good luck

could you link me to this cd that shows all the wiring your talking about?

i think VBtruk was doing some thing like that the thread went on for ever try a search for dimmming lights

I just wanted to thank BIG COUNTRY for taking his time to write this thread, and I'm sure that just like me, there are lots of other Explorer owners out there who will find this thread extremely helpful. Thanks, man!

.. and also, if you are looking to buy a message center for your Explorer, I bought me one at a junk yard off of an Explorer same year and engine as mine for 30 bucks! Most salvage yards have dozens of eddie bower and limited explorers, at least the ones here in Idaho--I've found over 10 message centers.

Back